FreeWill is an award-winning, social-good startup that has raised more than $5 billion for high impact nonprofits since we were founded in 2017. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Oprah’s magazine, and our co-CEOs have even been named to Town & Country’s “Top 50 Philanthropists” list.
All of this is because we’ve figured out how to make some powerful (but complicated!) ways to donate much easier and more accessible. Our products make things easier for the donors who want to change the world and for nonprofits doing heroic work around the planet.
In the last 5 years, we’ve grown from 5 people to 200+ (all smart, tenacious, and kind), and continue to grow quickly. We’d love to have you be a part of this adventure. Check us out on Glassdoor!
Full-time • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the US (except CO, AL, or LA)
About the Role
We are looking for an ambitious software engineer who wants to make an impact at a mission-driven company and is interested in working across our full tech stack. You are excited to work with a low-ego, highly collaborative team and take on a high level of responsibility across many projects. You will be working on the frontend and backend of our core estate-planning product, which provides free estate-planning tools to everyone. You’ll have a direct impact on making our suite of free estate-planning tools available in all 50 states.
FreeWill has set compensation and a non-negotiation policy for fairness reasons (we don’t think that an individual’s pay should be determined by how comfortable they are negotiating). As a result, we like to be transparent and up front about the compensation. When we make an offer, we provide multiple options so that employees can choose between compensation packages that prioritize salary or stock options. The offers for this role will be between $160,000 and $170,000. We also have historically offered competitive annual raises.
- Independently own the end-to-end design and development of new features
- Drive technical initiatives that improve quality, efficiency, and sustainability for the team
- Work on a modern stack, including React, TypeScript, Node.js, PostgreSQL, and AWS
- Interact closely with a diverse team across legal, growth, sales, design, and product
- Mentor junior engineers and share knowledge through code reviews, pair programming, 1-1 conversations, and broader team trainings
- Contribute ideas to improve our product, technology, and team practices
- Gain knowledge of end-of-life planning and nonprofit fundraising – what currently is working, what is not, and what tech can do to help fix it
- 5+ years building full stack production systems for complex web applications
- Familiar with CSS, observability, performance optimization, continuous integration, automated testing, and cloud infrastructure
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field (or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience)
In addition to the immense personal and professional satisfaction you’ll gain from helping to raise $1T for high impact nonprofits in a kind and joyful work environment, full time employees at FreeWill are eligible for the following benefits:
- Work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible hours
- Competitive salary
- Commuter benefits
- Company stock options
- Medical/Dental/Vision (some single coverage medical plans are 100% employer paid, subsidized rates for spousal, parent-child, and family coverage)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Free One Medical membership
- Paid parental leave for all parents
- Option to work from our new, beautiful NYC office, located in the Financial District
- Fully paid trips, such as an annual work retreat in a relaxing location
- Regular (virtual) team events
- $250 monthly co-working budget which can be used for local co-working spaces (for team members located outside of the NYC metro only).
- $300 annual budget to outfit your home office or cover utility bills
- $1,000 referral bonuses for growing our FreeWill community
- $1,000 annual professional development budget
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. For this role, we can consider visa transfers for candidates who are currently authorized to work in the U.S. on a valid visa.