Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
About the Role:
Code for America’s Software Engineers are involved in all stages of our products’ lifecycle: product prototyping, developing features in response to user feedback, and operating technical systems at scale. We practice agile, iterative development, working closely with product managers, designers, researchers and users. Some of our current and past projects include:
- GetCalFresh: improve how government delivers food assistance to families in need.
- Integrated Benefits: simplify how Americans access safety net services.
- Get Your Refund: deliver cash support through free, high quality online tax help
- Clear My Record: give people a second chance to get jobs and housing by clearing past convictions.
You’ll be assigned to work full time on one of our active product teams, and may have the opportunity to rotate to other teams in the future.
We work with well-known and reliable technologies like Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, and AWS. We’re a collaborative team with a sharp focus on user needs and driven by making a meaningful difference in the lives of the people we serve. The ideal teammate is an engineer who focuses on user impact and reliable technology and will help us scale both technology and the team.
This position is full-time, based in our office in San Francisco or remote within the U.S., and reports to one of our Engineering Managers. Note: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our team is currently operating in a fully remote fashion. Though we are remote, our team deeply values live collaboration which is typically between the hours of 9:30am to 4pm Pacific Time. You can find more information on our remote work policy for Software Engineering here.
In this position you will:
- Craft new features that help users more easily navigate government services and receive a dignified experience.
- Write automated tests and develop monitoring strategies to ensure a high level of service quality.
- Implement minimal features to maximize learning, and then harden features to scale when we know they work.
- Pair program with your teammates to design and deliver clean, reliable, and maintainable solutions to user problems. We like keeping communication high and the cost of change low.
- Interact with and help users yourself to better understand their experiences.
- Interested in the mission of making government services better for people who need them most.
- At least 4 years experience building software professionally, including at least 2 years of web development experience
- Understanding of computer science and web fundamentals, from data structures to APIs.
- Eager in collaborating with others, receiving mentorship, and teaching others.
- Willing to participate in all aspects of software development. You plan, code, test, deploy, monitor, and fix bugs.
- Can write understandable, testable, and maintainable code.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
It’s a bonus points if you:
- Have personal experience with the justice system, social safety net, VITA tax clinics, or other mission-relevant government services.
- Are familiar with and comfortable with pair programming and test driven development (We don’t pair all the time, but we find it really helpful in lots of contexts!)
- Have experience with Ruby on Rails and/or Java Spring.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range are as follows:
- Senior Engineers – The targets for this role range from $94,350 – $136,675.
- Staff Engineers – The targets for this role range from $116,648 – $157,850.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.