Merit’s verified identity ecosystem helps trusted organizations across government and enterprise solve critical real-world problems in workforce development, emergency services, licensing, education, defense readiness, and other sectors. Thousands of trusted organizations – including government agencies and nonprofits – use Merit for digital verification of credentials, licenses, training, and skills.
Using Merit, organizations can capture and certify people-data in containers called merits (Watch this video to learn more: What is Merit?), and grant them to individuals. All of an individual’s merits are stored in one place, providing people agency over their verified data, giving people secure access and selective sharing with other organizations.
By connecting organizations and individuals, the Merit Platform supports a robust verified identity network that serves as a source of truth and trust for entire industries; bringing visibility, liquidity, and trust to people’s data.
Florida Division of Emergency Management
The Florida Division of Emergency Management partnered with Merit to provide a fast, secure, paperless solution for the verification and time-tracking of thousands of volunteers and paid medical professionals assisting with the statewide COVID-19 vaccination efforts. As a result of our work together, FDEM was named a StateScoop 50 Award winner for the State IT Innovation of the Year.
Ohio Department of Education – Afterschool Child Enrichment (ACE) Program
After the Ohio State Legislature created the $125M 2-year Afterschool Child Enrichment (ACE) educational savings account program, the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) contracted Merit to inform parents, guardians, and businesses about the new opportunity and eligibility requirements. Merit developed and delivered support systems, workflows, and digital assets for the ACE program. ODE issued digital credentials to parents and guardians certifying student eligibility, enabling them to use the grants with service providers listed in the Education Marketplace, and the Ohio ACE app is a single destination to view account balances and submit claims.
Virginia’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR)
DPOR partnered with Merit to streamline licensing and digital credentialing for the more than 300,000 Virginia’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) partnered with Merit to streamline licensing and digital credentialing for the more than 300,000 professionals across more than 40 industries that are required to have a license to work. With Merit, those licenses are now digital, accessible, and easily verifiable by consumers and businesses.
Merit’s salaries are competitive and transparent. Here’s a look at our pay bands based on different roles.
Merit’s values are more than just words on paper – they permeate the company’s brand, culture, products, and even individual actions. Our values are:
Everyone is a friend. We see opportunities everywhere because Merit has endless ways to grow the already vast and self-propagating Verified Identity graph.
Building a network of truth and trust. Merit is modeling the real world of Verified Identity into a digital one, built on merits. Society values truth, and merits represent truth.
A rising tide lifts all boats. We think about entire industries and how to make the most impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, our employees, partners, and everyone on Merit should succeed.
Measure to meaningfully improve. Work is measured by output, not vanity metrics, and the things we do measure have goals.
Use Merit to build Merit. The strength of the Merit network, platform, and company compounds with the addition of every partner, consumer, and employee.
Salary Band: $150,450 – $165,500/year
Merit is looking for an experienced, senior-level Product Manager to take ownership of Merit’s data-first, core platform and APIs. Merit is building a secure, global social network of “verified identity” and our platform is the core of this network. The platform powers both internal clients such as our Organization Portal, suite of consumer-facing mobile apps, and 3rd party applications, and is a strategic asset for the company. In this role, you will define the overall vision and product strategy of the platform and drive the roadmap. For this role, you will need to have a proven track record of successfully managing an entire core platform in the SaaS and data space, not just key features, and a mind built for creative problem solving. We’re looking for a mini CEO to own the platform.
Merit is a startup environment where you will be expected to roll up your sleeves, take initiative, and get creative about finding solutions to challenges. We are a remote organization with some travel.
What you will do
- Own the product strategy and vision of core Merit platform, external and internal APIs, data pipelines and integrations
- Translate the vision into an actionable roadmap
- Work with Go-to-Market, Customer Success and Marketing teams to evangelize our roadmap and refine it
- Be the voice of all the end users of the platform; web portal, mobile apps and 3rd party apps & developers
- Produce Product Requirements Documents (PRDs) and specs for new work alongside acceptance criteria, and work with the Engineering team to turn PRDs into development tickets
- Work with Test/QA to validate test plans against acceptance criteria
- Collaborate with the Data Engineering team to create data pipelines to for both inward and outward movement of data from external & internal sources
- Be a strong advocate of security and ensure all features adhere to Merit’s strict data privacy safeguards
- Work with Compliance team to ensure the platform adheres to all the industry compliance standards Merit is committed to
- Define and monitor non-functional requirements and Key Performance Indicators for the platform
- Leverage internal and external user feedback and competitive analysis of data platform landscape to understand user needs and synthesize into product plans
- Maneuver comfortably against both the long-term product vision and current priorities
Experience & Skills
- 7+ years of product management experience with a track record of delivering data-first platforms and APIs to mass markets
- Proven track record of managing the entirety of a platform, especially one that operated in compliance environments such as SOC2, PCI-DSS, HIPAA, etc.
- Successfully launched new products and features working closely with designers, engineers, marketers, business development managers, and customer support managers
- Demonstrated ability to present to executives and lead through influence across teams
- Proven ability to evaluate new technologies, articulate customer insights, test, learn, and make clear, analytical recommendations
- Track record of identifying market opportunities and articulating competitive differentiators
- Ability to conceptualize, manage, and prioritize multiple projects
- Proven ability to drive results while juggling many priorities and under tight timeframes
- Mastery in writing product materials and experience working closely with marketing on customer messaging
- Strong analytical skills
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Experience as a group product manager responsible for other product managers is desired
Qualities of the ideal candidate
- Self-motivated, self-starter who gets things done efficiently and proactively
- Empathetic leader who cares about people as much as they care about success
- Strategic thinker who can see the big picture and break it into achievable pieces
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Can manage up and down
- Strong attention to detail, while knowing how to work with ambiguity
- Comes to the table with an opinion, but remains open to the ideas of others
- Knows when to be decisive and how to bring people onboard to those decisions
- Sets expectations up front, keeps their word, and alerts people should expectations need to be changed
- Knows how to utilize data to make decisions, but can operate with a lack of data
- Understands the differences between meeting styles (presentation, brainstorm, discussion, etc.) and knows how to facilitate them effectively
At Merit, we don’t just accept differences, we celebrate, support and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status.
Merit is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for our employees. If you need accessibility assistance or a reasonable accommodation, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.