Hi, we’re CompanyCam.
We create simple-to-use, visual-first communication and accountability tools for contractors. Imagine a B2B SaaS (business-to-business software-as-a-service) app that doesn’t look like garbage, built by a team of capable, laid-back people.
But don’t let the chill throw you off; we’re a fast-growing, product-led startup with big plans for the future.
We’re looking for a sharp, self-motivated, problem-solving Senior Product Designer to join our product team.
As a Senior Product Designer, you’ll work alongside other Designers, Product Managers and Engineers to tackle everything from huge company initiatives to modest but important bug fixes, from start to finish. You’ll also collaborate with the product team on discovery, helping assess the direction and feasibility of product changes. And, perhaps most importantly, you’ll actively contribute to the evolution of the culture and processes of the growing product design team.
In this job you will…
To give you an idea of what you’d be doing day-to-day, here are some things we have worked on recently:
- Revamped our in-app onboarding to deliver the most relevant, and time-saving experience to our users.
- Released powerful updates to our jobsite capturing tools including video-capture and enhanced editing features.
- Created visual-first to-do list experience that is fully customizable to help companies get work done right without driving jobsite to jobsite to verify.
- Built powerful reporting tools companies can use in the field.
- Built a widget to allow companies to use the photos they take every day to generate content for their marketing websites, showcasing the amazing work they do.
- Continually pushing new components to our design system allowing Product Designers and Client Engineers to work faster with a common design language.
- Show up every day, taking the courage to do the difficult but necessary stuff.
- Grow up constantly: you’re OK working in an environment full of change. You take responsibility, love ownership, learn continuously, and have a growth mindset.
- Do good by treating your co-workers and customers the way you would like to be treated.
- Have 4-5 years of experience working on a product team, preferably shipping features for a SaaS product.
- Be technically savvy and hungry to learn the ins and outs of our platform quickly.
- Be experienced in conducting user research and utilizing documented insights to solve complex design problems.
- Communicate and articulate design choices, advocating for the user and helping deliver business goals.
- Humbly give and receive design feedback. Critiques happen weekly, so you’ll most likely be doing both ad nauseam (in a good way 🙂).
- Have experience delivering features for both web and mobile platforms, and a basic understanding of the technologies underpinning both (CSS/HTML and iOS vs Android).
- Be an expert at combining visual design with a simple-to-use user experience.
- Be a self-starter. Can be trusted to generate design solutions independently or collaboratively.
- Be friendly, low-ego; and interested in helping mentor other designers.
- Have experience working within a design system–bonus points for contributing to a design system!
- Reside permanently and currently somewhere in the U.S. Alas, we’re not set up to hire outside of the U.S. at this time.
It’d be nice if you…
Have experience coding. Day to day, you’ll spend 60% of your time generating wireframes (in Whimsical or Figma) and doing discovery work alongside your team; but of course that’s not all you’ll do. While experience with the following technologies is not required (we’re cool with some on-the-job learning), you will see them with varying levels of frequency:
- React & React Native (often)
- Styled-components (often)
- Tailwind CSS (just a touch)
- Android Studio & Xcode (mainly to run the mobile app)
How we work at CompanyCam:
CompanyCam is a fun, fast-paced team united by our core values of Show Up, Grow Up and Do Good. We trust you to do what’s best for our product, customers, and team members and empower you to make the right calls without heavy bureaucracy.
Our product design team is mostly located in Lincoln, NE but across our product and engineering teams, we span every time zone in the United States. We welcome people from all backgrounds and don’t really care whether you have a design degree or even a high school diploma. All that matters is that you’re not an a**hole and you’re good at what you do.
Our Product and Engineering departments also do things a little differently.
We use a customized version of Basecamp’s Shape Up method (fused with empowered product teams a la Marty Cagan’s Inspired) to organize and execute our work. That means you’ll work in a close-knit team consisting of a product manager, a product designer, and other engineers on an area of the product in 3-week cycles.
During cycles you’ll spend most of your time implementing product improvements, but you’ll also coordinate with your team to shape (generating and vetting) work for upcoming cycles. After each cycle your team will stop, reset, and choose to tackle another cycle or take a 1-3 week cool-down (a period of undirected work where you’ll pursue educational opportunities, work on pet projects, or smash some bugs that have been nagging at you). Rinse and repeat until code nirvana.
Sounds nice, right? No sprinting, no scrumming, no death by 1,000 meetings. We protect our designers’ time, treat them like adults, and trust them to get their work done. We’re also big on not overworking people. Put in your eight hours of focused, quality work and then TURN. SLACK. OFF. No nights and weekends.
Our larger company culture is also refreshingly chill. We have fun, learn from each other, and don’t take ourselves too seriously.
Compensation: Our starting salary range is $115,000 – $125,000 and is based on experience. We also offer meaningful equity and other benefits.
Ready to apply? If you share our passion for serving our customers and bringing truth and transparency to the contracting industry, we’d love to review your application!
For any needed accommodations during the hiring process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.