Senior Product Design Manager (remote)
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to over 30% of the Fortune 100 with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.3 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
As a Product Design Manager, you will lead a team of designers, influence our product leaders and directly help shape the vision for how we grow the work marketplace of the future. You’ll drive product direction, partner with researchers, facilitate collaboration, and use data to meet the needs of our users. You’ll represent product design across the company, creating better outcomes for the people we serve.You’ll do all this as part of a thriving and energetic remote team that has great benefits and values diversity and inclusion.
- Lead the design strategy for several top priority, high potential work-streams, partnering closely with product and engineering leaders.
- Mentor and lead a small design team to be successful, challenged, and happy in their roles!
- Drive an innovative and entrepreneurial culture by overseeing thoughtful, explorative MVPs designed to learn from and iterate with.
- Own end-to-end design projects consisting of several product features and touchpoints from ideation, research, through execution and production.
- Be the subject matter authority for experience and design within your group.
- Be curious. Learn about our users, build empathy for their needs, advocate for them and deliver impactful experiences that connect their goals to the business context.
- Demonstrate high quality design practices. This includes coordinating all aspects of UX: research, ideation, collaboration, facilitation, strategy, interaction design, information architecture, content design and visual execution
- Broadly communicate your teams’ concepts to partners and end users, seek out reviews and peer feedback
- Help your team connect business goals to valuable outcomes for users, building expertise in the dynamics of a two-sided marketplace
- Collaborate with product, analytics, marketing, engineering, and operations partners
- Drive multiple small to large projects in parallel.
- Identify resource and process challenges and come up with solutions to solve them.
- Help our larger UX organization grow and improve, helping with skill building and design maturity.
- Be a model for inclusivity, providing a safe, trusting environment where people can bring their whole selves to work.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Proven experience as a UX leader in a cross-functional UX team, dedicated to the complete UX design and development lifecycle of several successfully launched features and products
- A self-starter, “tinker” attitude that proactively drives explorations
- Recent Mobile experience that includes leading “mobile first” design efforts and crafting responsive flows across form factors
- A thoughtful balance of product requirements, user needs and growth opportunities to scale product adoption and engagement
- Ability to work seamlessly with product, research, engineers, operations, and customers
- Drive system wide design solutions that satisfy both product and engineering requirements
- Proven high bar for quality and attention to detail
- ***Portfolio is required***
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also hire full-time employees in 19 states in the United States.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Careers page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.