At Brooklyn Data Company, we’re crafting a place where data people love to work. We are thought leaders working towards meaningful, sustainable growth as individuals, as an organization, and as analytics partners with our clients.
Our growing team is fully remote and distributed, which means we can collaborate from wherever works best for each team member. With staff and clients from Los Angeles to Lagos, South America to Central Europe, we currently operate across 10 time zones (UTC+2 or Central European Time to UTC-8 or Pacific Standard Time).
What we’re looking for
The senior manager/manager of data and analytics role is a pivotal one at Brooklyn Data. Analytics managers lead full-stack data teams (data engineers, analytics engineers, and data analysts) in delivering valued data capabilities for our clients. They are responsible for the direction, growth, and wellbeing of their team, as well as for the analytics success and satisfaction of their clients. We are open to candidates with a range of experience between manager and senior manager.
We’d love to hear from you if you…
- Value diverse, inclusive teams and creating an environment where people of all identities, experiences, and backgrounds can thrive
- Practice a management style based on empowerment and trust
- Look forward to being exposed to a variety of companies, business challenges, and tools
- Like to think about the “why” in addition to the “how”
- Thrive or would thrive in a remote-first, distributed work environment
…As a manager, you’ve:
- Recruited, trained, supervised and supported the development of team members in data and analytics functions
- Worked collaboratively with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to achieve organizational goals
- Translated business questions into analytical requirements
- Guided a team in the successful and timely execution of project deliverables
- Provided project, technical, and career mentorship
- Honed your SQL best practices by working with tools like dbt, Amazon Redshift, Google BigQuery, or Snowflake
- Honed your BI best practices through experience with tools like Looker, Tableau, Mode, or Periscope/Sisense for Cloud Data Teams
- Developed deep expertise in either data engineering, analytics engineering, or data analysis
…And you may have done some of these things:
- Worked in a consulting, SaaS, or e-commerce company
- Worked in an agile environment (divided work into sprints, planned and executed work against a roadmap, scoped a minimum viable product, etc.)
- Worked in a remote environment
Things you can expect to do as a senior manager of data and analytics at Brooklyn Data:
- Lead a team of three or more data specialists on client engagements
- Help clients select and report on key business metrics such as CAC, LTV, retention, and churn
- Collaborate with clients to plan for analytics needs for a product or feature launch
- Plan and execute projects with client impact, pace of delivery, and engagement economics in mind
- Guide the construction of data models (in dbt) to support reporting and analysis
- Pair with a teammate or with someone at a client on strategies for solving an analytical problem
- Mentor team members at Brooklyn Data or at a client
- Lead sprint planning, reviews, and retrospectives with team and/or stakeholders
- Contribute to internal and externally facing resources for data teams (e.g. add to internal wiki, write a blog post, etc.)
What it’s like working at Brooklyn Data
- Kickstart questions – If you decide to apply, you’ll share some written answers to questions that will help us understand how your experience and interests map to what we need to grow the team. Note that as part of our blind review process, we don’t review resumes at the application stage. Your application answers carry all the weight at this point in our screening process.
- Intro chat – You’ll speak to a manager at Brooklyn Data.
- Work on problems that reflect the job – You’ll submit your responses to a set of exercises designed to reflect the technical and communication skills you’ll need on the job. We hope it both gives us a sense of your skills and you a sense of day-to-day work at Brooklyn Data. We’ll pay you a stipend for your time so that the time (a few hours) doesn’t create an unfair barrier for any applicants.
- Chat with your potential future co-workers by phone or Zoom – You’ll chat for about an hour with a few of the people you’ll be working with. We’ll share our key questions in advance, because we want to level the introvert / extrovert playing ground, to have you as much at ease as possible, and to make the best possible use of our time together. You’ll also have some time to ask questions of the team.
- Chat with Scott – Meet our friendly founder!
- References and background check – We’ll ask to hear from a few people who can speak to what it’s like to work with you. And with your permission, we’ll run a third-party background check.
- Our decision – If you’re selected, we’ll make an offer and open the avenues for communication with our team members to support you in making your decision. If you’re not selected in the current round, we promise to give you some context as to why not, if you’d find that useful. Keep in mind that we’re growing, and we expect there to be many future opportunities!
Compensation & Benefits
- Manager of Data & Analytics I, $134,375
- Manager of Data & Analytics II, $139,750
- Senior Manager of Data & Analytics I, $145,125
- Senior Manager of Data & Analytics II, $150,500
- Senior Manager of Data & Analytics III, $155,875
- 100% premium-covered healthcare + dental + vision coverage for you (and partner or family)
- 401(k) with 3% company contribution
- Life, AD&D, and long-term disability insurance
- Paid parental leave (12 weeks birthing parent, 6 weeks non-birthing parent)
- 18 days of PTO, 7 holidays (plus a week off in December), and 2 floating holidays
- $1500 annual education budget
- $1500 office setup budget
About Brooklyn Data Co.
Brooklyn Data provides the technical skills, experience, and leadership to deliver best-in-class data capabilities. That means we act as an extension of your organization–collaborating in real-time with your data team and stakeholders, flexing to provide support in the areas you need most.