Senior Finance Manager
(Full time, 100% Remote)
FII-National (FII) dba UpTogether is a national organization of individuals across the country with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities who share a passion for social justice and racial equity. Our mission is to recognize, highlight and invest in the ingenuity and entrepreneurship of people in undervalued communities and partner with government and philanthropy to do the same.
After working with thousands of families since our founding in 2001, at UpTogether, we are certain people don’t live in poverty because they are lazy, uneducated, or mismanage money, as stereotypes would indicate. Instead, the poverty cycle, which disproportionately impacts Black and Latinx communities, can be traced to well-intentioned but inadequate governmental and charitable policies and practices that rely on a traditional top-down approach.
UpTogether’s Strengths Based Approach (SBA) includes:
- Community: We center our work around the strengths and initiatives of people living in undervalued communities and promote the role social networks within these communities play in helping people accomplish their goals and achieve long-term socioeconomic mobility.
- Capital: We invest in our members with unrestricted cash in recognition of the initiatives they are taking to improve their lives.
- Choice: We trust that people in undervalued communities know what’s best and are capable of making decisions for themselves and their families.
UpTogether reveals and accelerates the initiative people are taking to improve their lives.
As a community, a movement, and a platform, we use the power of information—compelling insights and personal success stories—to transform stereotypes, beliefs, practices, and policies. Together with our members, we are championing a community-led movement to boost economic and social mobility in communities that have been undervalued and underinvested in for far too long.
At UpTogether, we work towards these values:
- Community: We honor the strengths and initiatives of people living in undervalued communities and promote the role social networks within these communities play in helping people accomplish their goals and achieve long-term socioeconomic mobility.
- Impact: We test and scale strategies for systems adoption of a strength-based approach to accelerate socioeconomic mobility for people living at or below the poverty line in the U.S.
- Collaboration: We center the lived experiences of families in undervalued communities and engage the knowledge, experience, and perspectives of our board, partners, and staff to build and grow a strength-based approach to end poverty.
- Racial Equity: We are committed to being an anti-racist organization, and we promote anti-racist policies that eliminate the racial wealth divide.
- Leadership: We acknowledge that leadership is not based on a title and honor the many forms in which it appears. We celebrate leadership that embodies all of our organizational values, driving us to act against the dominating deficit-based approach to fighting poverty.
- Choice: We trust that people living at or below the poverty line know what’s best and are capable of making decisions for themselves and their families.
Reporting to the Director of Finance (DOF), the Senior Finance Manager (SFM) role will oversee the finance staff on the day-to-day finance operations, month-end and year-end close cycle, as well as the timely completion of the annual fiscal audit and annual tax filing. The SFM will have a demonstrated knowledge of Cash flow, General Ledger, and Financial statements. The SFM will work with the DOF on Board presentations, financial projections, and budgeting. Budget monitoring will include departmental YTD actual expenditure reporting and detailed analysis of spending trends, projections, and forecasts in relation to pre-approved budgets. Additionally, this role will partner with the Director of Compliance on budget development for pipeline funding proposals as well as budget maintenance for current grant awards, revenue monitoring, tracking and management, and developing monthly reimbursement billing documents for contract-based awards, including government contracts.
This is a 100% remote position (must be based in the United States). A reliable internet connection and functional work environment, including a fully functional computer (laptop or desktop) with video conferencing capabilities, are required to be successful in this role. UpTogether offers reimbursements and stipends for work-related equipment for full-time staff.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop organizational budget projections, monitoring budgets for regional sites from multiple funding sources
- Prepare and report monthly and quarterly results, comparing actuals to budget/forecast and any other variance analysis
- Develop and maintain forecast models to help the organization manage risk and uncertainty, including data analysis for business needs
- Provide support as needed in day-to-day accounting tasks, monthly and yearly close cycles, producing monthly financial reports
- Lead the annual fiscal Audit and tax filing
- Provide financial strategy recommendations based on grant provisions, OMB uniform guidance, and federal/government financial guidelines where applicable
- Partner with the finance team to ensure sound financial tracking and reporting
Team development and support:
- Manage, train, and develop the direct reports to ensure consistent professional growth and development
- Build partnerships with colleagues across all departments to understand drivers, trends, and opportunities. Share insights and recommendations and apply business judgment and financial insights to assist with decision making
- Partner and provide support to the Director of Finance on financial, managerial, and Board reporting and any other task as needed
- Collaborate with the Partnerships & Revenue team to develop accurate coding of expenditures and capture of grant expenditures and budgets for proposals and reports
- Provide support to the Compliance team when necessary to prepare monthly reimbursement billing documents for contract-based awards, including external communication with grantors to track accounts receivables
- Provide support to the Compliance team when necessary to ensure compliance, timely submission, and processing of grant expenditure paperwork
Experience & Skills:
- Experience with Quickbooks is required
- Experience with Bill.com and Salesforce is preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of Accounts payable, Accounts receivable, General Ledger, Financial statements, and month-end/year-end close cycle
- Demonstrated knowledge of annual fiscal audits (including government audits) and tax filing process
- Strong command of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google applications required
- Experience in advanced spreadsheet use and visual presentation of budgetary and data management and information
- Experience preparing budgets and performing budget analysis, including multi-year projections, developing and administering budgets, and monitoring / reconciling budgets against actual expenditures
- Demonstrated knowledge of grants and contracts/contract management, including Government contracts
- Solid understanding of US GAAP and concepts relating to cash, revenue, deferred revenue, and general accounting principles
- Familiarity with federal reporting and federal regulations, including experience with OMB uniform guidance and single audits, as well as GAAP
Qualifications & Attributes:
- BA/BS/Master’s in Accounting/Finance/Business Administration or equivalent 3–4 years of work experience with an emphasis in non-profit accounting
- Experience with progressive accounting experience and revenue management
- Self-starter with excellent research & analytical skills, a detail-oriented mindset, the ability to prioritize effectively, meet deadlines, follow through to execute all tasks, and demonstrate a high degree of accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member
- Demonstrated ability to work across a broad range of accounting responsibilities
- Exceptional communication, written and verbal; skilled at making complex information easy to understand
- Have a functional work environment, solid internet connection, and ability to work remotely; comfortable in a virtual setting
- Demonstrated leadership through learning, creating solutions, and accountability
- Ability to be agile and flexible; self-directed; proactively reaches out, responsive
Additionally, applicants should:
- Comfort interacting with a diverse group of stakeholders. A passion for building relationships and having conversations that challenge ingrained assumptions about BIPOC communities and people experiencing poverty
- Hold a deep belief in the capacity of those living with low incomes–that they know what is best for themselves, their families, and the achievement of their goals and can and will take the lead
- Demonstrated commitment to, or passion for, our mission; deep belief and trust in the innate capabilities of families with limited incomes and their communities; willingness to engage in conversations aimed at addressing erroneous stereotypes about people with limited incomes and people of color
This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision, 401(k), and vacation. Salary range is $95,000–$110,000.
We strive to create a community that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion, and we support the efforts of others to build such communities. We encourage all qualified and interested persons to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter via this link. Your cover letter should outline how your personal and/or work history will contribute to the mission of UpTogether. We ask that you do not include a photo or image of yourself on your resume or cover letter. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.