As a Senior Data Engineer at nZero, you will play a pivotal role in designing, developing, and maintaining scalable data pipelines and storage tools to support our platform. You will work closely with our cross-functional teams, including Data Scientists, Analysts, and Software Engineers, to ensure seamless data flow and transformation from various sources to enable data-driven decision-making. Your expertise in AWS, dbt, and Python will be critical in building efficient and sustainable data processing solutions tailored to our unique needs.
- Design and implement scalable data pipelines, including data ingestion, transformation, and integration, using AWS services such as Amazon S3, Glue, RDS, Aurora and Redshift.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to understand data requirements and develop data models aligned with nZero ‘s business goals.
- Build and maintain ETL/ELT workflows using dbt (Data Build Tool) and Prefect to transform raw data into structured datasets for analysis, reporting, and sustainability tracking purposes.
- Optimize and tune data pipelines for performance, scalability, and reliability
- Implement data quality controls and validation processes to ensure the accuracy and integrity of nZero’s data
- Monitor data pipelines, perform debugging and troubleshooting, and implement proactive measures to ensure data availability, accuracy, and efficient resource utilization.
- Stay up to date on the latest advancements in data engineering technologies, tools, and best practices, and propose their adoption when they align with nZero’s objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Information Systems or strong work experience in a related technology
- Proven experience as a Data Engineer or similar role, with a strong understanding of data engineering concepts, data modeling, and database systems.
- Familiarity or Hands-on experience with Data Lakehouse architectures and implementing them.
- Hands-on experience with AWS data services, including S3, Glue, RDS, Aurora, Redshift, and related tools and technologies.
- Hands-on experience developing within a CI/CD data pipeline and deploying code into different environments
- Proficiency with Git and source control
- Proficiency in DBT (Data Build Tool) for data transformation and modeling.
- Strong programming skills in Python and familiarity with related libraries and frameworks.
- Experience with SQL and working knowledge of relational databases and/or columnar databases.
- Familiarity with data orchestration techniques and tools, such as Prefect.
- Familiarity with Datadog or similar logging and alerting platforms.
- Knowledge of data warehousing concepts and dimensional modeling.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, with the ability to work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to translate complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
- Passion to make an impact and do some awesome work.
- Action Oriented: You are driven by a strong need to act when confronted with a problem, knowing that in most situations the “perfect” answer does not exist yet you are able to find the best solution at that time.
- Comfortable with ambiguity: You are comfortable handling and managing moderate levels of ambiguity in your role. We are a young start-up in a new market, creating products and services which have never existed before, which often requires blazing new trails with uncertain outcomes.
- Passionate: You care about the quality of the things you produce and the problems you solve. At nZero, we are a passionate team who care deeply about the climate challenges we are tackling.
- Inclusive: You understand that accepting and integrating a diverse set of views creates growth and opportunity.