Kentik is the network observability company. Many of the world’s most recognizable brands rely on our SaaS platform to make sense of their networks, relying on our infinite granularity, automated insights, and insanely fast search to answer key business questions. Our rapidly growing, geographically distributed engineering team builds state-of-the-art products that are supported by a truly big data platform that processes trillions(!!) of records per day. To this end, our engineering culture emphasizes collaborative communication, openness to ideas, and practical solution design. To find out more, read our blog at kentik.com and follow us @kentikinc.
The true meaning of Kentik is visibility. We are committed to making sure everyone feels empowered to use their voice, has a sense of belonging and is represented at Kentik. We don’t look for individuals who fit the culture, but those who will continue to add to the culture. We encourage everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in the industry: people of color, LGBTQI+ community, women, individuals with disabilities (both seen and unseen), veterans, people of any age or family status.
About the role
Kentik backend services ingest, enrich and store traffic metadata and metrics from the world’s largest networks. They gather configuration and topology snapshots, actively monitor our customer’s infrastructure and trigger automated responses in response to outages and attacks. Together, they form an internet-scale, highly available, distributed system that is the foundation to Kentik’s ability to deliver complete end-to-end network observability to our customers.
We are looking for experienced backend engineers wanting to apply their skills and experience on taking Kentik to an industrial scale. As part of a backend team, you will co-own, design and scale a high-performance, data-intensive platform that is becoming mission-critical to some of the most prominent companies on the internet.
We have built a team of world-class engineers, network experts, and influential technologists in a remote-first culture from day one. While prior experience in a remote environment is not required, we highly value strong collaboration and communication skills, as well as a high level of independence and autonomy.
Working hours in US time zones are strongly preferred.
What to expect
- Interacting closely with product managers and engineering managers to help define, plan and execute on project plans
- Developing new features, performance improvements and bug fixes in a modern highly scalable SaaS platform
- Participating in code reviews
- Regularly collaborating with other engineering teams, as well as support and sales teams
- Working on high-visibility, challenging engineering problems
You may be a good fit if you have
- Passion for what you do and a willingness to grow and contribute to our team
- Prior experience or strong interest for working on large scale SaaS systems
- 7+ years experience with Go, Python, Node or similar
- A good understanding of SQL syntax, especially with PostgreSQL and MySQL
- Good communication skills
- Experience on any relevant areas to network observability (SNMP, Streaming Telemetry, BGP, general metrics collection, etc)
Our tech stack
- Our core data engine and platform are primarily written in Go
- We use Node.js + Express for application serving, and React as our primary UI framework
- We also use some JS and Python for tooling/scripting
- In addition to our own database, we use Postgres, Kafka, Mysql, and RedisInternal and public APIs expose both rest/json and gRPC endpoints
- Haproxy, Envoy for API traffic routing and balancing
- Github for source control, PRs, issues
- Jenkins for automated builds
Healthcare and Leave*
- Medical, Dental, and Vision that is 100% covered for employees & dependents
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Maternity/Paternity leave, medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Stock Options
- Flexible time off
- Vanguard 401(k)
*Benefits are as listed for US employees. Local health insurance coverage and similar benefits are provided for employees outside of the US.
Perks and Reimbursement Programs
- $100 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Internet / Phone Reimbursement
Come work with us
We promise it will be worth it! You will be working at a fast-growing, well-funded startup, alongside world-class engineers and thought leaders as we build the future of network observability and digital operations. With a competitive salary and first-rate benefits on top of meaningful, challenging projects, we’re sure you will enjoy joining our team!