We are dscout. At our core, we are People Nerds. We empower our customers to meet the people who matter to them in the moments that matter most. Customer-obsessed companies and agencies like Salesforce, Sonos, Groupon, and Best Buy use dscout to build better products and services because of people like you. We are building a smart and driven team, and we would love for you to join us.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) to bring their passion for and experience in software testing to our Engineering team. You will be supporting dscout in the development and delivery of innovative, qualitative research software products. You will be working in a fast-paced, agile environment; interacting with a variety of leading development tools and languages; and actively contribute to our automation suite. You will work in a cross-functional product team made up of engineers, a designer, and a PM. As an embedded SDET you will drive our automation testing efforts, strategy, and team process. You will be crucial to deciding what test cases get automated, and your skill in writing them will be essential for the success of the team. You will also be working with our customer facing representatives, developers, and the Product Manager to verify and prioritize bug reports. If this sounds exciting, we would love to talk with you!
Our web platform is built on React.js frontend and Elixir backend tied together by GraphQL APIs. We make heavy use of PostgreSQL for our storage needs and we host our platform on a mixture of Heroku and AWS. Another core part of our offering are two mobile apps – iOS and Android – written in Swift and Kotlin respectively and a Chrome Extension in React. We also employ WebRTC and WebSockets for live video streaming and use Python for NLP and media processing.
Over ten years and 57K commits later, we’ve maintained a tidy code base that is well documented and battle tested by tens of thousands of users.
We’ve also been investing into our test automation and between unit tests, component tests, and end-to-end tests we have some healthy coverage. Just to share a few numbers, we got:
– 3200 tests end-to-end tests (written in Ruby with Capybara and RSpec)
– 3300 unit, component, and property tests in Elixir
– 8500 unit tests in React.JS
What You Will Do:
- Demonstrate curiosity – you want to understand products inside and out to drive innovation and to insure highest product quality
- Advocate for testable and functional software designs to enable quality design principles, and keep the customer experience top of mind
- Drive the automation of test scripts and test cases utilizing existing automation testing framework and maintain the test suite
- Drive the entire quality & automation process improvement of your team (not only end-to-end, but understanding unit tests, optimizing current test suites, and making suggestions in code reviews)
- Work with our Customer facing representatives to verify and prioritize bug reports
- Run manual tests in places where automation is lacking
- Collaborate with Engineering teams and Product Managers to build quality into product from the beginning, and communicate and assist developers on issue resolution
What You Will Need to Have:
- 1+ years experience in an SDET role
- A strong desire to drive your product teams test automation strategy and process
- Experience with agile SDLCs (Scrum, Kanban, Hybrid, etc)
- Experience with CI/CD (AWS, Heroku, CircleCI, etc)
- Experience pairing with engineers, PMs and designers
- Working knowledge of SQL
- Experience with observability tools (SumoLogic, DataDog, etc)
- Experience with testing of web-based applications and APIs
- Detail oriented with excellent communication and project management skills
We do our best to write realistic, accurate job descriptions, but we also recognize that great talent comes in many forms and from many backgrounds. Not sure if you meet all of the above bullets? Please apply anyway!
dscout is committed to providing our employees with the flexibility to work in a location that works for you. If you like working in an office setting, this role may be based in our Chicago HQ. If you prefer to work from home, we can accommodate that for many locations across the United States. We are not set up in all states, so just let us know where you’re located and we’ll let you know if we can accommodate that location.
dscout is a team full of passionate research, sales, technical, marketing, design, success, and operations professionals. We are driven by the power of research—how in-context insights from real people can build products and services that are more people-centric. We value learning, sharing, and building. We deeply value being a diverse and inclusive team and company, and we are looking for team members who align with that belief. We are proud of what dscout is today and we are excited to build our future with you.
It doesn’t just stop there. When you join the dscout team, you will get:
* A strong and competitive compensation package with a built-in bonus and equity program.
* An incredible and progressive benefits package to support work/life balance that includes flexible PTO, 11 company holidays, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and much more.
* A company that is open and transparent with our team. You will know what is happening and why it matters.
* An education stipend to support your growth & development. As you grow, we grow.
dscout is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender identity and expression, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We’ll do all we can to ensure you’re set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
dscout participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.