Timescale is building the world’s next great database company on top of industry-standard PostgreSQL and we need your help! We are hiring a Product Manager to work on our first vertical solution, Promscale.
Promscale is the open source observability backend for metrics and traces powered by SQL and backed by TimescaleDB and PostgreSQL. It offers a single store and query language for all observability data. It is open source, horizontally scalable (petabyte-scale) and operationally mature. It integrates with popular open source observability tools like Prometheus, Grafana, OpenTelemetry and Jaeger.
You will work alongside engineering, product marketing and developer advocacy to define, build and take to market new capabilities that delight our customers and drive adoption.
These are exciting times for an entrepreneurial product manager to join the Promscale team since this is a new product and we are still discovering the most valuable problems we can solve for our customers and defining our strategy.
What you’ll do
As the Product Manager for one of the teams building Promscale, you will lead the strategy and roadmap for the components owned by your team.
To be successful we expect you to
- Develop a deep understanding of our customers and their problems, the competitive landscape and market trends.
- Proactively discover new use cases or market opportunities we could pursue.
- Define and get executive buy-in for your product strategy and roadmap which will be anchored around well-researched customer problems, measured user behaviors and market trends.
- Define annual and quarterly outcome-driven objectives for your product and work with engineering, marketing and customer care to hit those objectives.
- Collaborate with engineering, customer care and documentation to prioritize customer problems and technical improvements, define and build the best solutions to those problems and ship new releases.
- Work with product marketing and developer advocacy to drive awareness and adoption for Promscale.
- Measure adoption of the product, collect customer feedback regularly and adjust plans as needed.
Key qualities in the successful candidate
Promscale is a highly technical product for engineers. This is what we are looking for in candidates for this role:
- Technical background. Computer science degree or experience as a developer.
- Proven track record as a product manager for modern highly technical products.
- Experience building developer tools and/or observability products preferred.
- Experience building new products or major new capabilities. Proven track record of building product/features from customer insights and ideation to release, measurement of outcomes and iteration.
- Strong customer empathy. Start with the customer problem and work backwards with the team to identify the best solution.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to to effectively communicate to different technical and non-technical audiences: developers, executives, customer care, etc.
Timescale has an amazing culture built on strong values. We have learner mindsets and think like owners. We’re kind to each other, and support one another. We achieve together. We are colleagues, here to do the best work of our lives.
Timescale is a fully distributed company allowing you to work from your favorite location. For this position, we’re hiring from anywhere that makes sense for working with team members across multiple time zones in Europe and the eastern United States.
Benefits & Compensation
We offer globally competitive salaries. Our benefits support our people and their families and we strive to provide premium benefits such as flexible time off and resources you need to support you in doing the best work of your career.
How to Apply
Please submit an application through our careers site.
Introduce yourself to us as a colleague and share some recent work that you’re especially proud of. Tell us why you want this job and why you’d like to work at Timescale. We value good writers, so be yourself, be creative, and have fun.
If you’ve participated in open source, dev ops, PostgreSQL, please include links to pull requests, bug reports, feature pitches, or any other public engagement. Open-source participation is by no means a requirement, but if it’s something you’ve done, we’d love to look at it!
What Happens Next?
We regularly review resumes and pick the most promising for a 30 minute initial conversation. Upon a successful first call, you will speak with the hiring manager for 60 minutes to get a better understanding of your background and how you will apply it to Timescale. If you and the hiring manager decide to continue the conversation, you will be scheduled with a panel of interviewers. The final decision will be made by the hiring manager.
Timescale is the creator of TimescaleDB, the industry-leading relational database for time-series. Tens of thousands of organizations trust TimescaleDB today with their mission-critical time-series applications. The company is dedicated to serving software developers and businesses worldwide, enabling them to build exceptional data-driven products that measure everything that matters: software applications, industrial equipment, financial markets, blockchain activity, consumer behavior, machine learning models, climate change, and more. Analyzing data across the time dimension (“time-series data”) enables developers to understand what is happening right now, how that is changing, and why that is changing. Timescale is a remote-first company with a global workforce 🌎 and is backed by Tiger Global, Benchmark Capital, New Enterprise Associates, Redpoint Ventures, Icon Ventures, Two Sigma Ventures, and other leading investors. For more information, visit www.timescale.com or follow @TimescaleDB.
Working at Timescale🐯
Timescale is breaking boundaries and setting new standards in the innovating and rapidly growing time-series data industry. Built on the foundation of people-focused values and principles, Timescale makes sure integrity, mutual respect, and compassion is at the heart of everything we do. Empowered by our Co-Founders, Ajay Kulkarni (CEO) and Mike Freedman (CTO), we are challenging the norm by working with people who continuously inspire and teach us 🤝.
Enjoy debating the crunch-factor of different chicken nuggets 🍗, sweating it out during lunch 💦, talking about your kids, whether they be actual children 👶🏽, potted plants 🪴, or four-legged creatures 🐾? You’ll fit right in at Timescale!
What we’re offering
Benefits may differ from country to country.
- Premium insurance options for you and your family
- FSA/Dependent FSA plans for US based employees
- Flexible PTO and family leave
- Summer Fridays off in August ☀️
- Full remote work from anywhere
- Stock options
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Individual education benefits