At Weights & Biases, our mission is to build the best developer tools for machine learning. Weights & Biases is a series C company with $200 million in funding and a rapidly growing user base. Our platform is an essential piece of the daily work for machine learning engineers, from academic research institutions like FAIR and UC Berkeley to massive enterprise teams including iRobot, OpenAI, Toyota Research Institute, Samsung, NVIDIA, Salesforce, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Lyft, and more.
Reporting to the head of product design, will be an early member of our design team and play a vital role in building the design culture at Weights & Biases.
They will lead all aspects of the design process from research to ideation to deployment. They will partner closely with Engineering and Product to understand our users’ goals, build and ship new product features, and measure the success of our designs to ensure we deliver high-quality experiences that empower our users.
We know the Product Designer will thrive at Weights & Biases if they care about the details, embrace collaboration and feedback, and desire to have a significant impact on the creation of technology that is shaping every aspect of our world.
What you’ll achieve:
- Have a large impact on building the foundations of an outstanding design team and culture
- Become a relentless advocate for delivering experiences that our users love
- Lead the design of workflows that simplify complex actions into intuitive interfaces
- Create strong cross-functional partnerships with Product and Engineering to develop strategy, facilitate design discussions, and ensure our implementation and user experience are of high quality.
- Collaborate closely with Design and Product leadership to inform and improve our design processes.
- Interview new team members and advise on our design hiring process.
- Lead by example – do great work and help others learn how you do it.
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years of experience as a versatile designer who can own all facets of design (User research, UX, prototyping, and UI design)
- Passion not only for producing strong designs but also for the outcomes they have once shipped.
- An excellent portfolio, showcasing user-focused problems solved via interaction and visual design and ideation.
- Solid understanding of building usable, accessible, and modular designs that scale.
- Strong working knowledge of design and prototyping tools, such as Figma
- Experience working with Product Managers to develop the strategy and solve problems for technical users.
- Strong Plus: Understanding of Machine learning workflows
- Plus: Experience in Data Visualization
- Plus: Proficiency in web-based technologies such as HTML and CSS and with design frameworks, like Material-U
Here are some key characteristics that will help you thrive in this role:
- Creative and Flexible: You’ll love this role if you get joy out of finding creative solutions to our users’ problems. You can envision the ideal flow and then build towards it incrementally.
- Autonomous: If you work well in a self-directed environment, and proactively find ways to improve processes and collaborate with team members or engaged users, your initiative will really shine in this role.
- Curious and driven: Explore machine learning and learn more about the engineering stack and common ML workflows. Solve problems in both fast-paced, short-term sprints and in larger, more long-term projects.
- Organized: A core part of engineering support at Weights & Biases is organizing feedback from many channels into a single, orderly stream. Your organization skills and time management will be key to running this process well.
Why join us?
- Top-tier machine learning teams rely on our tools for their daily work at companies including OpenAI, Toyota Research Institute, Lyft, Samsung, and Pandora.
- You’ll be designing for an enthusiastic, engaged user base that loves the product we are building. We have many interesting and challenging design problems because we are building new things.
- You’ll never stop learning. This role gives you first-hand experience talking with leading researchers in the field, understanding their problems, and directly shaping the product direction.
- Our experienced founding team has successfully built and sold ML tools in the past at Figure Eight, and their deep knowledge of our industry, empathy for our users, and skillful management is driving W&B to success.
- Customers genuinely benefit from our tool. Here’s a quote from Wojciech Zaremba, Cofounder and Robotics Lead, OpenAI: “W&B allows to scale up insights from a single researcher to the entire team, and from a single machine to hundreds of them.”
We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t perfectly align with the job description as we seek out diverse and creative perspectives. Team members who love to learn and collaborate in an inclusive environment will flourish with us. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.