Censys is building the most credible, robust map of the Internet through IP scanning, DNS lookups, web crawling, ingestion of millions of certificates, and new algorithms. We are a true security startup with midwestern roots and we believe that by increasing human intuition and understanding of networks, operations, and security practices, organizations can protect themselves from vulnerability and risk. We are looking for high-energy, action-oriented people who are not afraid of challenges and interested in helping build a product and culture that we’re proud of for years to come.
Censys is seeking a full-stack/front-end developer to help develop the application that presents our wealth of data to the customers. Through our Search interface, customers are able to construct complex queries to search for hosts and certificates and view details about assets. We want to provide improved workflows for customers and also enhance the way the data is represented with historical data and information about different scan observations.
The Search application is primarily written in Python but is transitioning to Go. Familiarity with Typescript and React is a plus. We don’t expect specific familiarity with our stack, experience with any common web development languages, frameworks together with experience of relational databases is enough to be successful.
This job is a good fit if you:
- Thrive in a fast paced startup environment where changes happen quickly
- Contribute to our culture of learning. Take ownership of issues, admit mistakes, and work to improve over time.
- Make informed decisions by combining empirical evidence with domain expertise and good judgement
- Operate and contribute effectively as part of a team where we work together to solve problems
This job is not good fit if you:
- Think engineering’s job is done after the code is delivered.
- You are more motivated by technology than understanding customer problems
- Don’t enjoy helping and mentoring your colleagues around you
What you will bring:
- A BS, preferably in the field of Computer Science
- 6+ years experience in building web applications professionally
- You can write efficient backend code in Python and Go, interacting with a service-based RPC architecture, such as gRPC.
- You can write, document, and support customer-facing APIs through API-first design and a focus on helping costumes integrate directly with our data.
- You are comfortable interacting with Kubernetes and diagnosing operational issues.
- You are knowledgeable with front-end frameworks such as React and can help manage front-end applications based on TypeScript.
- You can write SQL to retrieve or manipulate data.
- Familiarity with CI/CD processes.
- An understanding of SEO and Core web vitals.
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases like Elasticsearch, Redis, and other similar technologies.
- Familiarity with User Authentication and Authorization concepts, such as OAuth, JWTs, 2FA, RBAC, Google Zanzabar, etc.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to other engineers, designers, sales people, and content marketers is no problem for you.
What you will do:
- Lead development for customer-facing web applications using Python, Go and React, including a new front-end application and features to support showing users pertinent information about hosts, certificates, and risks. This includes supporting front-end features useful for threat-hunting and quickly pivoting and investigating our data sets through the UI.
- Write code that communicates with internal services to build the data models that are presented to the users. Much of this code is written in Python but is being transitioned to Go.
- Partner with product, design, and data engineering to translate Censys data into new product features.
- Design automated solutions for building, testing, monitoring, and deploying applications in a continuous integration environment that uses Kubernetes and Google Cloud Platform.
- Occasionally support the Customer Success and Sales Engineering teams with customer or partnership calls to provide technical expertise.
We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Censys is an equal opportunity employer.