Wanderu is the leading ground travel search in North America and soon the rest of the world. Our mission is to allow people to travel between any two places focusing on the hardest to find modes of transportation primarily bus and train. This is your opportunity to join an exciting, fast-paced startup environment and make a difference in the world, one traveler at a time. We have seen tremendous growth in both sales and new opportunities in 2022 coming out of the pandemic, and we are looking to expand our team to capture this wave of travel demand.
Wanderu is a company that values and promotes diversity, founded by first generation immigrants and led by a 40% female executive team including our CEO. Wanderu is a fully remote company that supports our employee’s choice to find their best fitting work environment.
We hire people who are driven, solutions-focused, and passionate about their work. Our employees never fill a single role and always rise to new challenges with excitement and curiosity. We are currently a fully distributed team with some concentration in the Boston area.
We are hiring our first Principal Software Engineer to be the technical leader and visionary for Wanderu. In this role, you will be our team’s most senior technical visionary, developing our future technical roadmap and ensuring that our teams are building the world’s best platform for our travel marketplace. If you are passionate about solving high-impact technical and operational challenges at the core of a challenging marketplace and e-commerce business, we would love to meet with you.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Serve as a technical leader, act as a multiplier across the technology organization, and actively drive architecture discussions of Wanderu’s platforms.
- Be a highly visible technical thought leader to the executive level, identifying future issues before they occur and devising mitigation strategies.
- Drive large transformation projects such as: service modernization, global expansion and much more.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across business, product and engineering to understand pain points and drive initiatives forward.
- Act as a trusted mentor and advisor to other engineers and help develop their skills while contributing with them on a variety of projects.
- Leverage data to understand risks, priorities and scope of business objectives and develop near term and long term goals and vision.
- Advocate for all aspects of quality including availability, quality, performance, scalability and automation.
- Encourage and promote a culture of innovation, results and world-class engineering across the wider engineering community.
- Hands-on experience driving software transformations within high-growth environments.
- A passion for innovation and continuous improvement.
- Superior organizational and analytical skills with hypothesis-driven problem solving and turning data into actionable insights.
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated experience forming consensus out of ambiguity and complexity, influencing executive business and engineering leaders, and driving teams forward.
- Experience with AWS, Kubernetes, Python, Kafka, containerization, and microservices.
- Experience with marketplace and e-commerce.
- 15+ years of experience in engineering, with preference for candidates with a mix of start-up and larger platform building experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or equivalent practical experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.