The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent nonprofit that puts rigorous, independent science into action, developing solutions and advocating for a healthy, safe, and just future. We envision a peaceful, healthy, and just world where science serves people and the planet by guiding policy decisions, reducing risks, and improving lives.
For over five decades, we have been working as scientists, engineers, economists, advocates, and everyday people to create and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting disinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war. Values informing our work include:
- Science in the service of people and the planet.
- Justice and Equity for people of all races and incomes—now, and for future generations.
- Courage to take principled, science-based stands in the public arena.
- Integrity to always examine evidence critically, openly, and honestly.
- Democracy to promote a voice for all in government decisions.
- Action inspiring and mobilizing people to build a healthier, safer, and more just world.
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is seeking a People & Culture Manager to lead the organization’s learning and development initiatives, orientation process, and onboarding experience for new staff. They will also serve as the point person for UCS’s internship program and assist the Director of People & Culture with implementing our performance management processes, culture strategies, and employee relations initiatives.
Learning & Development
- Work with the Director of People & Culture to build a custom onboarding and training program for new hires.
- Host weekly new hire orientation, creating an engaging, consistent, and compliant onboarding experience for all new staff.
- Partner with department leaders to create learning and training solutions to meet development needs.
- Develop a learning library with resources on a wide range of leadership topics.
- Lead the creation of an organization-wide mentorship program to strengthen cross-functional collaboration and development initiatives.
- Measure the effectiveness of our training programs by monitoring completion rates, soliciting feedback, and analyzing trends.
- Maintain a system for tracking employee training records.
- Ensure UCS’s JEDI principals are woven into every aspect of the learning and development curriculum.
Performance Management & Culture
- Assists the Director of People in Culture with making sure UCS policies remain compliant with federal, state, and local laws, including conflict of interest, and prevention of harassment, discrimination, and bias.
- Support the implementation of performance management programs including annual reviews, mentoring programs, succession planning, and more.
- Conduct regular check-in meetings with staff to understand the employee experience and keep a pulse on the organization’s culture.
- Serve as the P&C point person for UCS internships in all programs and offices.
- Responsible for conducting regular intern check-ins, addressing internship issues, and maintaining internship policies and guidelines.
- Coordinates worker’s compensation claims and ensures compliance with relevant federal, state, and local laws.
- Assist the Director of People and Culture with human resource projects and programs as outlined in the strategic plan.
- Support initiatives that promote healthy cross-department internal communication and collaboration.
- Perform daily People & Culture administrative tasks such as responding to staff inquiries, onboarding/offboarding staff, and other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required.
- Five to Seven years of HR/People + Culture experience.
- Nonprofit working environment experience preferred.
- Willingness for occasional travel.
- Experience in designing and implementing change management and culture-building programs.
- Excellent organizational and people skills.
- The ability to work in a team-based environment is necessary.
- Superior communication skills; both written and oral.
UCS is an equal-opportunity employer actively seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we are dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We are also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities.
This is a full-time remote position based out of the UCS Cambridge, MA office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary range is $90,601 to $101,930. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. *CA Resident Only, we offer a 12% salary differential*
Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org.
Comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
More about the team:
Our team is made up of a dedicated group of researchers, scientists, communicators, campaigners, and advocates from wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and a collaborative and supportive work environment where all staff can thrive. We continually strive to create an environment that is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, parents, empty-nesters, and people with a wide variety of interests and backgrounds.
To Apply: We know there are great candidates who will not check all these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we have not considered. If that is you, do not hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Please upload a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Covid Mandate for New Hires:
For in-office roles, UCS employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees are considered fully vaccinated as defined by the CDC. All new hires who will be reporting to an office location must provide notice of their vaccination status and vaccination documentation, on or before their first day of work. For all others, UCS strongly encourages full vaccinations among its employees, up to and including booster shots, even if working remotely.
All new employees must comply with the mandatory vaccination requirements outlined in UCS policies as soon as practicable. The Union of Concerned Scientists will notify candidates for employment of the requirements of this policy before the start of employment.