BitGo is the leader in custody and security solutions and is the largest independent digital asset custodian in the world. Founded in 2013, BitGo is the first digital asset company to focus exclusively on serving institutional clients. In 2018, it launched BitGo Trust Company, the first qualified custodian purpose-built for storing digital assets and established BitGo New York Trust in 2021. BitGo also offers market leading trading, lending, and borrowing services and supports over 400 digital assets on its platform. BitGo provides the security and operational backbone for more than 500 institutional clients in 50 countries, including many of the world’s top cryptocurrency exchanges and platforms.
Head of Security
The Head of Security is the top technology leadership role responsible for establishing the security strategy and direction for BitGo. This position reports directly to the Chief Risk Officer. As our top information security leader, you will have the opportunity to drive and implement the security strategy at the industry leader for securing digital assets. Demonstrating your vision, domain expertise, and strong leadership skills, you will help shape the next generation of products and services while upholding the continued trust our clients have placed with us to ensure their assets are secure.
We are looking for relevant, collaborative leadership experience, proven execution ability, and technical cybersecurity competency as key indicators of success for this role. Working closely with the rest of our engineering teams, you and your team will share responsibilities to ensure that BitGo is able to continue to safely and securely ship highly scalable products as quickly and frictionlessly as feasible. You will design and work across teams to implement a program to protect our customer and company information and secure our IT infrastructure. You will champion and preserve a balanced culture of security awareness by supporting and enabling risk analysis and strong security practices throughout the company. You will provide leadership in maintaining BitGo’s security policies, standards, and practices for the entire company and ensure that BitGo is in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, and policies regarding the securing of information. You will drive implementation of security plans, including incident response, and lead the operational processes for monitoring and maintaining security and relevant compliance.
- Develop and drive implementation of near- and long-term security strategy and goals in alignment with BitGo’s business objectives and culture.
- Partner across BitGo (and with external teams as needed) to ensure that security is designed into our products and processes from the early stages.
- Prepare and present accurate and timely information in response to audits and client inquiries; institute a proactive culture to align activities and measurement with internal policy and regulatory requirements.
- Oversee management of cybersecurity tools, contracts, documentation, standards, and processes to ensure an operating environment that is sound, sustainable, and aligned with company policies and requirements
- Advocate for all company security-related issues, across BitGo’s enterprise. Resolve security resource requirements including budget, staff, training needs, and prioritization. Work with senior team members, where appropriate, to embed security expertise in other functions.
- Provide expert counsel and mentorship to senior leadership (including on occasion the board of directors) on security and its impact across business strategy, programs, products/services, and operations.
- Develop and drive security risk analysis, mitigation, and remediation plans. Plan for and lead security incident response and recovery efforts.
- Evolve BitGo’s capability to monitor threats and vulnerabilities as well as detect, investigate, respond to, and recover from incidents.
Required Skills & Experience:
BitGo is looking for people who are passionate about their craft, take full ownership for their work and projects, and believe in transparent and collaborative culture with the goal of making BitGo successful.
- A breadth of senior leadership experience in security, engineering, or IT management.
- Experience working with C-Level executives and other senior partners.
- Significant experience running an enterprise-wide technology security function, preferably in a broadly scaled fintech/digital asset related industry.
- Deep knowledge of blockchain technology and cryptography are highly desired.
- Experience in leading engineering culture in an agile environment, and ability and proven success to cultivate and grow the culture within and across existing teams.
- Proven strong leadership and management skills and the ability to secure results through others.
- Superb communication skills, especially the ability to communicate security and risk-related concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to understand the business context and technology challenges and handle uncertainty and apply appropriate security solutions in response to multiple risks and needs.
- Knowledge of relevant security and compliance frameworks, standards, and regulations (such as SOC2, NIST, COBIT, ISO270xx).
- 10+ years of enterprise cybersecurity or relevant technology experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (Information Services, IT, Information Security, etc.); Master’s preferred.
- Certifications such as CISSP, CISM, and GIAC are desired.
Why Join BitGo?
Disrupting an industry takes vision, innovation, passion, technical chops, drive to deliver, collaboration, and execution. Join a team of great people who strive for excellence and personify our corporate values of ownership, craftsmanship, and open communication. We are looking for new colleagues who bring innovative ways of thinking and problem solving, and who want risks to be part of the team that changes the world’s financial markets.
Here are some of the benefits of working at BitGo:
- Competitive base salary, bonus and stock options
- 100% company paid health insurance for employee, partner and dependents
- Up to 4% 401k company match
- Paid parental leave, Paid vacation
- Free commuter/parking pass; 5 min from Caltrain
- Free custom lunches, dinners and snacks
- Computer equipment and workplace furniture to suit your needs
- Great colleagues and inspiring startup environment
- Benefits may vary based on location.
Cryptocurrencies are the most disruptive change the financial services industry has seen in years. Join us and you’ll be able to look back and say you were part of the team that transformed investing.