Outschool’s mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We achieve this by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with other classmates who share their passions, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own paths. Our small group classes meet over live video chat with teachers who celebrate their unique strengths and empower all learners to develop confidence and a strong sense of self.
We’re also focused on removing barriers for historically underserved learners who face systemic challenges to their success. Outschool.org
is a nonprofit that partners with homeschooling co-ops, community-based organizations, and schools across the U.S. to provide marginalized communities with access to virtual and hybrid learning experiences.
We believe that diversity drives learning. To meet our mission, we encourage, support, and celebrate different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds. As a fully distributed (remote) team, we challenge one another to find the most effective way to empower learners, teachers, and parents. Your name, race, religion, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and age are not barriers; they are why we want to work with you. We invite talented and creative candidates who value the importance of nurturing a child’s boundless curiosity to join us on this journey.
The pandemic has been challenging for families all over the globe. We acted quickly and worked together to provide quality resources to learners, parents, and teachers in the past year. As communities worldwide rethink their approach to education, Outschool will continue to innovate and provide kids with unique opportunities to explore their passions.
Outschool has been named Fast Company’s most innovative EdTech company in the world, and one of the top ten best startups for women from Elpha. Outschool has also been one of BuiltIn’s Best Remote Places to Work for the last two years and has appeared on Y Combinator’s Top Companies list for the last three years.
About the Role:
As the Head of Data and Analytics at Outschool, you will steer our insights-driven vision and strategy, transforming how we leverage data across the marketplace to make informed decisions that create value for our users. This role offers the opportunity to lead and evolve a talented team of Data Scientists, Engineers and Analysts, directly impacting our strategy and business trajectory. You’ll be instrumental in fostering a culture of data excellence, innovating in analytics, and ensuring compliance with data standards and policies. You’ll join our leadership team reporting into our Head of Finance (CFO) while partnering closely with Product and the whole leadership team to help Outschool achieve our mission to inspire kids to love learning.
- Deliver high-quality, actionable insights to inform and enhance business strategies within the first 6 months
- Develop and champion a company-wide data and analytics strategy, ensuring continued compliance with all data policies and standards within 12 months
- Establish and maintain robust data asset management, ensuring data accessibility and utility across the company within 24 months
- Build, mentor, and retain a diverse and talented team, optimizing for performance and innovation
- Oversee key data & analytics initiatives including but not limited Marketing Analytics, Data Privacy, Supply/Demand Metrics plus tools & systems
- Lead the productionalization of DS/ML models in critical business areas
- Direct the development and rollout of a DBT model to support robust insights
- Champion the use of Looker and SQL across the organization, ensuring effective utilization post-rollout
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- A demonstrated track record driving strategic decisions leveraging sound business acumen & judgment
- Strong leadership skills with a track record of team building and influencing cross functionally
- Expertise in managing enterprise data architecture and analytics engineering tools (e.g., DBT)
- Proficiency in data visualization tools (e.g., Looker) and programming languages (SQL, Python, R)
- In-depth understanding of data-related legal and regulatory requirements (GDPR, LGPD, CCPA, PIPA, PIPEDA)
- A strong understanding of and experience developing production ready data science & machine learning models
- You’re comfortable working with a high degree of ownership and autonomy in your work
- Advanced skills in statistical analysis and e-commerce/marketplace-specific data concepts
- Experience in an online marketplace, consumer products, and varied stages of company growth (startups to public companies)
Outschool recruits across the US and Canada, and sets employee salaries to reflect local compensation and cost of living. For New York and California candidates, as well as candidates based in Seattle, WA the salary range for this role would be $225,000-$325,000 USD.
For Washington candidates outside of Seattle, as well as Colorado candidates, the salary range for this role would be $202,500-$292,500 USD.
At Outschool, we believe that taking care of one another enables us to do our best work. To us that means:
•Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and investment plans that make saving for retirement easier.
•Health & Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
•PTO & Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
•Fully Distributed: With a team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
•Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
•Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established charities and has committed to support Outschool.org
’s non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to neurodiverse individuals, applicants with physical and mental disabilities, and disabled veterans. For individuals who would like to request an accommodation, you may reach out to us at email@example.com or through your Recruiting point of contact as you schedule your initial interview.
Benefits packages are included for full-time employees only.
Full-time employees must be a citizen or legal residents of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.
Once you submit your application, Outschool will process your personal data to evaluate your candidacy for employment. Unless specifically indicated otherwise, we hire employees only in the U.S. and Canada. Applicants else where should be aware that we may discard your application upon submission or we may ask if you would like us to retain it later should there be consideration (this is not typical at all). If you are selected for interviewing, your data will be shared with interviewers and personnel involved in that process. If not hired, your application will be retained for one year in case there is another suitable role. You may opt out of this at any time. Please see our Employee/Applicant Privacy Notice for more detailed information. If applicable, as you progress through the process, we will be clear about what information is being asked for and what happens with that information.