Code for America reached a voluntary recognition agreement with Code for America Workers United, affiliated with OPEIU (Office Professional Employees International Union, Local 1010), effective on October 22, 2021. We are currently engaged in negotiations towards our first collective bargaining agreement.
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Financial Analyst who will assist the Finance team with a variety of accounting and finance duties.
About the Role:
In this role, you will be an integral part of a Code for America’s finance team, which is supporting the rapid growth of programs and infrastructure. Your primary focus will be to assist with Financial data analysis, reporting, and Accounts Payable support while training to become a Senior Accountant. In addition to working within the Financial Team, you will interact broadly with other employees across the organization to ensure that accounting policies are followed, transactions are executed accurately and in a timely manner, and relevant information is reported.
The Finance Team is currently composed of a Senior Accountant, an Associate Director of Financial Analysis, a Director of Finance, a Senior Director of Finance, and a Chief Financial Officer. We will also be adding an Associate Director of Finance and a second Senior Accountant shortly. This role will report to the Director of Finance.
In this position you will:
Data Analysis (25%)
- Assist with data analysis within Excel to forecast revenue and expenses, assist with tracking and reporting on funder-specific budgets, and answer one-off questions from senior leadership.
- Learn all aspects of the Senior Accountant roles in order to provide coverage for them in their absences.
Accounts Payable Support (35%)
- Manage the payments of vendor invoices, the employee reimbursements, including comparing receipts and approving reports, and the employee credit cards.
- Preparing the monthly and issue-specific financial reports for budget managers and senior leadership.
Other duties as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Statistics, or equivalent experience;
- At least 3 years of accounting experience;
- Strong proficiency in Excel;
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills;
- Highly motivated and driven with a positive attitude and strong work ethic;
- Outstanding time management and prioritization skills.
It’s bonus points if you have:
- Strong proficiency in Sage Intacct or comparable accounting software;
- Strong proficiency with analyzing large datasets in Excel;
- Proficiency with Tableau, Access, Crystal Reports, and/or Power BI, etc.;
- Proficiency in Adaptive Planning;
- Proficiency in Bill.com, Expensify and/or Concur;
- Non-profit finance experience;
- Start-up experience.
What you’ll get
Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires.
The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range from ($79,411 to $97,213).
Benefits and perks:
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity (DE&I)
- A collaborative, cross-functional, hardworking and fun environment
- Medical & Retirement:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds up to 3%
- Professional development:
- Bi annual 360 review process alongside compensation reviews
- $1000 annual (per calendar year) stipend towards professional development
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Flexible Time:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- Flexible working hours- we aim to hold all internal meetings between 10 AM – 3 PM PT
- Employee enablement support:
- $200 stipend in first paycheck for remote environment setup
- Additional equipment reimbursement of up to $500 for remote enablement
- Cell phone and/or internet reimbursement of up to $50 per month
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.