Join a tight-knit, fast-growing team on the leading edge of open-core, cloud infrastructure technology. We’re looking for an entrepreneurial, data-driven Finance Manager to help us build critical reporting and analytical functions as we scale. Working closely with company founders and leadership, you will ensure the accuracy and availability of our financial records, and design and implement accounting, tax, and planning tools and processes. As the first member of our Finance team, you’ll have the opportunity to shape our operations and make a huge impact on the health and future of the company.
Backed by leading VCs and software executives and founded by ex-Google cloud engineers and PMs, Stackwatch empowers teams to efficiently operate Kubernetes at scale. Starting with our flagship product Kubecost, we build tooling and intelligence to manage cost, performance, reliability and other infrastructure operability challenges. Our team is fully distributed, and we’re dedicated to building a vibrant, remote-first company culture that focuses on kindness and collaboration while achieving outsized results. We recently raised our Series A—this is an amazing opportunity to join a startup with significant traction!
This role provides a blend of strategic initiatives and ownership of ongoing financial recordkeeping and reporting. Specifically, you will have the opportunity to:
- Maintain accurate, GAAP-compliant financial records and prepare periodic reports for management and investors.
- Identify, measure, analyze, and report key financial and SaaS metrics, including building and maintaining accurate Sales and Success records and projections.
- Implement a process for proactively monitoring sales tax liability, ensuring compliance as clients grow and compliance landscape evolves, involving accounting, legal, and vendor relationships as needed.
- Build projections and scenario models to drive strategic decisions on topics such as pricing, payment terms, product development investment ROI, or changes in EBITDA based on different growth/department spend/revenue strategies.
- Initiate and maintain vendor, service provider, and bank relationships.
- Create and improve Finance processes; communicate financial results, processes, and policy to internal teams in a clear, approachable way.
- Track team budgets, review/reimburse expenses in accordance with company policies
- Execute strategic projects (eg: due diligence, fundraising requests) .
- Own customer billing process and assist customers with billing-related inquiries and requests.
- Manage accounting and finance-related technology, including Quickbooks, tax processor, and subscription service provider, and propose and implement new tooling as needed to anticipate company needs.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal government requirements, assist with registration and recordkeeping requirements, and stay current on regulatory, tax, and GAAP changes.
- Track cash flow, optimizing treasury and cash management to maximize efficiency.
- Own monthly, quarterly, and year-end close process and periodic tax and audit processes.
- Act as the “voice of Finance” in product planning sessions and user experience discussions, helping Product team understand financial and operational use cases.
Our ideal candidate has:
- 5+ years experience managing and performing all aspects of finance and accounting at enterprise software/SaaS startups (and/or supporting these types of companies while working in public accounting).
- A passion for data visualization, technology, and the cloud-native computing industry.
- Exceptional financial modeling skills, with a track record of building and maintaining sophisticated cash flow and GAAP-compliant budget models.
- Firm grasp on current SaaS-specific sales tax compliance requirements and liability management, including usage of sales tax liability management tooling.
- Deep experience with subscription billing enterprise software solutions and Quickbooks, with ability to pick up new software quickly.
- Proven analytical, problem-solving, critical thinking, decision-making & project management skills.
- Willingness to work at a high level of intensity and autonomy to support the needs of rapidly growing businesses.
- Flexibility to handle multiple projects, address immediate needs, and perform ongoing responsibilities, while maintaining incredible attention to detail.
- High degree of integrity, personal responsibility, and accounting ethics.
- Unassailable judgment and a positive, solution-oriented approach.
- We evaluate our pay scales on a semiannual basis to ensure competitiveness with the upper end of the market for comparably-sized companies and maintain equitable and transparent compensation policies and processes. Placement within the range will be based on skill set and experience.
- The range for this position is: $120k-$150k
- The equity compensation for this position is 0.06% – 0.19%
Launch & learn—We are resourceful, biased toward action/experimentation, and value a growth mindset.
Strive for excellence, get results—We aim high & take pride in our work, but maintain focus on progress, not perfection.
Context, not control—We believe in empowered decision-making through transparency, flexibility & data.
Welcome diversity—We celebrate and embrace our differences! Aside from being an Equal Opportunity Employer, we place a high value on inviting new perspectives & a broad range of backgrounds and experiences; we are inclusive and seek to create a psychologically safe environment for all teammates; we disagree respectfully.
Celebrate contribution—We maintain a deep commitment to making open source contributions; we are community-oriented; we give and take feedback with grace.
Love the user—We are curious about the end user experience & sensitive to their needs, no matter who the end user of our work is.
Be an awesome communicator—We think clearly, communicate directly, and focus on quality; we listen with empathy and the desire to understand.
Read about our culture, current policies, and benefits at handbook.kubecost.io
🏥 100% paid health insurance for employees, 50% paid for dependents
🦷 75% paid dental and vision insurance for employees, 25% paid for dependents
💻 $3000 equipment stipend every three years to trick out your remote work setup
🖇 Shared office space reimbursed up to $400/month
🗓 Take what you need PTO (we mean it, and we model it!)
🎉 11 company-paid holidays
🐣 12 weeks paid new parent leave
💚 1 month paid sabbatical after 3 years
✈️ Company-sponsored opportunities to travel and gather with your teammates at events, all-hands retreats, “co-working weeks”, and more
You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. We welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions.