Swiftly is a mission-driven company and a big data platform for transportation. The platform weaves data analytics, intuitive visualizations, and real-time predictive technologies into applications that drive smarter decisions for public transit agencies. Today, over 7,000 transit professionals in over 110 cities across the globe use Swiftly to improve transportation for over 1.7 billion passenger trips per year.
Engineering at Swiftly
Engineering at Swiftly is not only about writing code – we believe in creating empowered product teams that work together to conceptualize new features and bring them to life. Each team aims to strike a balance between delivering incremental improvements, creating prototypes to test new ideas and mitigate risks, and building scalable software using industry best practices. We’re guided by a mission to positively impact transit riders, and we embrace humility and intentionality in how we make technical decisions so that we best meet our customers’ needs.
About the Role
At Swiftly, the role of Engineering Management is to build empowered product teams that deliver successful outcomes while supporting growth of direct reports. We’re seeking an Engineering Manager to join our team building historical data products that expose useful transit data insights through visualizations, APIs, and exports. We will be looking for candidates who have the ability to manage a full-stack team, and a background in all things data will be a particularly strong fit.
We encourage you to apply if you meet half or more of the requirements and are excited to and capable of learning the rest. Above all else, we value candidates who have a positive attitude and the aptitude to learn the requisite skills. We know the tech landscape is ever-changing and strongly support individual growth. If this is exciting to you, we’d love to talk to you.
Even though Swiftly’s HQ office is located in San Francisco, CA, we are open to candidates in all locations across the U.S. as well as Ontario, Canada. At this time we are unable to provide Visa sponsorship. #LI-Remote
- Build a “one team” mentality between your team’s engineers, Product Manager, and Designer, all working together to achieve team objectives
- Partner with your team’s product manager and technical leaders to set and deliver reliably on impactful OKRs for the teams you support
- Be the final decider of who is working on what on a sprint-by-sprint basis, ensuring equity and alignment
- Clearly communicate team’s progress, learnings, and blockers up and out, including to product and engineering leadership
- Identify and fill-in gaps between adjacent product teams, including dependencies during planning and execution, and encourage bridging communication
- Ensure technical leadership is represented within the team and valuable technical debt and architectural projects are accounted for
- Foster a psychologically safe environment where team members are comfortable sharing ideas and seeking feedback
- Encourage learning and skill-sharing outside of team and across technical functions
- Enable growth of your direct reports to help them achieve challenging goals
- Lead inclusive and effective interviewing, hiring, and onboarding of new engineers in collaboration with the People Team and engineering leadership
- Create an environment where your direct reports are proud to work at Swiftly, as measured by employee retention and eNPS scores
You’ll be a good fit if
- You are excited to be part of a mission-driven company. Regardless of your why, it is important that you care about the work we do
- You have a strong track record cultivating high-performing teams that deliver reliably on ambitious but feasible goals
- You understand management makes a big impact on the culture and composition of our engineering team, and you aim to be a servant leader by building positive influence through growing the people on your team rather than by the span of your control
- You are a dynamic team player, able and willing to dive into the details on all sides of the tech stack and back out as needed by your team
- You have experience supporting a product development organization where the goal is for product, design, and engineering to work together on product teams as equal partners
- You have experience with teams building or maintaining cloud-native, SaaS products
- You embrace a growth mindset both for yourself and your fellow teammates. At Swiftly, we recognize that technology is always changing and requires continual learning. You love learning and helping those around you grow
- You’re open to receiving feedback (a core Swiftly value!), approach technical debates with humility, and participate in blameless postmortems when things go wrong
**FOR COLORADO CANDIDATES ONLY:**
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act (SB19-085), the approximate Colorado salary range for this role is $128,000 to $188,000 (base salary + any bonus/commissions). This range represents the anticipated low and high end of the salary for this position. Actual salaries will vary and are based on a multitude of non-discriminatory factors including final role leveling decisions, a candidate’s relevant work experiences/skills, and geographic location within Colorado. Note: salary ranges for non-Colorado candidates may be higher or lower than the Colorado numbers above depending on location.
Salary is one component of Swiftly’s total compensation package, which also includes stock options, competitive benefits, 401(k) matching, a fantastic team and culture, opportunity to have a huge impact, emphasis on professional growth and holistic wellness, and other perks.
– Competitive salary
– Stock options for every employee
– Medical, Dental and Vision
– 401k with Employer Match
– Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
– Home office setup reimbursement
– Monthly cell/internet reimbursement
– Monthly Education Reimbursement
– Flexible PTO
– Flexible work environment
– 16 paid holidays – including holidays in months without US national holidays in 2022
– 8 fully paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
Don’t just hit the apply button. We want to hear more about you. Tell us why you’re passionate about our mission and what interests you about Swiftly!
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
As a tight-knit company where we have the utmost concern and care for our team members, Swiftly has adopted a mandatory COVID vaccination policy.
This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities.
We will not require any candidates to be vaccinated in order to interview for our open positions, but all new hires at Swiftly will be required to share a copy of their vaccination certification or present documentation to request an exemption.
In compliance with the EEOC, any team member in need of an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief must provide Swiftly People Ops with appropriate documentation. For a medical exemption, we require a doctor’s note, and for a religious exemption, we require a note from the team member outlining the request.
We are an equal opportunity employer – we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.