We started Super to help maximize lives–both the lives of our customers and the lives of our employees– so that everyone can experience all that life has to offer. For our employees, our promise is that Super is more than just a job; it’s an opportunity to unlock one’s potential, where learning is celebrated and impact is realized.
We are more than a fast-paced, high-growth tech company; we care about our people and take career progression seriously. This is your career and our aim is to supercharge it through the people, the work, and the programs that fuel who we are.
About this team
Super engineering has 5 development focus areas: shared products, fin-tech, travel, e-commerce, and infrastructure & tools. The Shared Products team focuses on building frontend and backend components and services that are used commonly across the different product focus areas and that form the glue between our multiple consumer-facing products in our Superapp. This includes our unified authentication system, rewards engine, experimentation framework, frontend design system, unified app navigation, and notifications engine. Overall, the mission of Shared Products is to provide a best-in-class full-stack platform to both facilitate rapid iteration of our consumer-facing product teams and provide a unified Superapp experience to our millions of users.
About this role
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to guide our new Shared Products full-stack engineering team. In this role you will directly oversee 5 full-time engineers, and the team has 2 engineering interns. Although this is a new team in our engineering org, it has been staffed with engineers from other existing teams so you will have a full, ramped up team from day one in the role. You will predominantly work with React on the frontend, and a combination of Python and Node microservices on the backend. Other technologies you’ll work with include Gitlab, AWS, Postgres, Redis, Datadog, Amplitude, and Snowflake. You will work closely with a Product Manager, Product Designer, and have the guidance of a Staff Software Engineer. You will report into a Director of Engineering.
- Oversee a full-stack team of 5 engineers (+2 eng interns). You will be responsible for the continued staffing of the team, including being a key contributor to hiring processes
- Propel the business and engineering org forward by leading high-impact projects end-to-end in an iterative, data-driven, startup environment
- Shape the technical roadmap for the team, contribute to product roadmap and OKR discussions, and drive the engineering agile processes for the team
- Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement and growth, ensuring team members excel with oversight and mentorship, are working on projects at the intersection of interest, experience, and business impact, and have concrete opportunities for growth
- Drive high release quality and cadence by completing code reviews, ensuring end-to-end tests are written, and sustainable yet pragmatic development practices are followed
- Strategically contribute technically – write important design docs, tackle particularly intricate components / features or services, jumping in as an individual contributor when appropriate
- Contribute to cross-team technical meetings and discussions, and opportunities to improve engineering productivity and processes
- 4+ years software development experience, including 1+ years of either formal management or close mentoring of junior and intermediate software developers
- Coding: Senior technical depth in at least one of Python or JS. Also, at least intermediate depth on frontend development using a modern frontend framework (ex. React/Vue/Angular)
- Strong knowledge of modern web technologies, system design & architecture, and microservices
- Been a technical lead for shipping major features / projects, and worked with multiple codebases
- Been involved in hiring & interview processes
- Experience working with Product Managers and Designers, in an agile setting
Nice to have
- Working experience across a breadth of our infrastructure, languages and stacks (React, Python, Node, Gitlab, AWS, Docker, Postgres, Redis, Datadog, Amplitude, and Snowflake)
- Worked on a Platform team before (i.e. building common services), and worked with moderate-to-high QPS services
- Formal engineering management experience
- SQL / analytics know-how, and experienced with devops concepts
- Experience in a startup environment
- Worked closely with business stakeholders, and experience leading agile processes
We’ve got you covered
- Competitive salary packages, equity options, great benefits from day one, wellness budgets, as well as personal and team-level development budgets
- We are remote first – you have the flexibility to work from around the world and the hours that make sense for you– so that you can do your best work while living life on your own terms
- Other perks include: unlimited PTO, recharge days, travel discounts on SuperTravel, Weekly UberEats credit, annual company offsite
- We welcome new family additions with generous parental leave and a flexible return-to-work plan
- This is just scratching the surface– see our careers site for a more detailed overview of our perks & benefits