Hi, we’re CompanyCam.
We’re a simple-to-use photo documentation and productivity app for contractors of all commercial and home services industries. Packed with intuitive functionality, CompanyCam facilitates unparalleled communication and accountability across a contractor’s entire business. We’re committed to providing a consumer-grade, game-changing experience that helps our users build trust within their company and with their customers.
But don’t let that corporate description fool you—the people behind our buttoned-up product are laid-back (but hardworking), genuine, and kickass, and you could be one of them!
We’re looking for a sharp, motivated, problem-solving Engineering Manager to lead the engineers of CompanyCam’s Platform team.
You’ll join a group of 8 software engineers and 1 product manager to help ensure that CompanyCam’s engineers have everything they need to be happy and productive. Some days that means making small improvements to command-line tooling, development environments, backend libraries, and CI/CD pipelines. Other days that means bigger projects to establish new & improved patterns in our codebase, or to improve the observability, performance, and security of our backend and our mobile app.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Managing the software engineers in your group, including coaching and career development.
- Ensuring the successful execution of your group’s many parallel projects.
- Helping our Engineering department hire and retain amazing engineers.
- Actively contributing to the evolution of the culture and processes for a growing engineering team.
Working At CompanyCam
Our engineering team is remote-first, spanning every time zone in the United States. We welcome people from all backgrounds and really don’t care whether or not you have a CS degree or even a high school diploma. All that matters is that you’re not an a**hole and you’re good at what you do.
Our Product and Engineering departments also do things a little differently. We use a customized version of Basecamp’s Shape Up method to organize our work. Your engineers will pursue, usually independently, as many projects as they can complete in a 5-week cycle. After each cycle, the team takes a 1-2 week cool-down, a period of undirected work where they pursue educational opportunities, work on pet projects, or smash some bugs that have been nagging at them. Rinse and repeat until code nirvana.
Sounds nice, right? No sprinting, no scrumming, no death by 1,000 meetings. We protect our engineers’ time, treat them like adults, and trust them to get their work done. We’re also big on not overworking people. Put in your eight hours of focused, quality work and then TURN. SLACK. OFF. No nights and weekends.
Our larger company culture is also refreshingly chill. We have fun, learn from each other, and don’t take ourselves too seriously.
We cover the important stuff too. We pay well, offer unlimited vacation, meaningful equity, health insurance, and other benefits. This is a salaried position at CompanyCam. Our salary range is $170,000 – $185,000 and is based on experience.
What We Ask Of You
These are our non-negotiables:
- Show up: give us your best and have the courage to do difficult but necessary stuff.
- Grow up: you’re OK working in an environment full of change. You take responsibility, love ownership, learn continuously, and have a growth mindset.
- Do good: treat your co-workers and customers the way you want to be treated.
- Senior-level experience with and knowledge of React, React Native OR Ruby on Rails.
- Experience working as a professional senior software engineer.
- 2 or more years experience managing people in a team context.
- Experience recruiting, interviewing, and hiring software engineers.
- Reside permanently and currently somewhere in the U.S. Alas, we’re not set up to hire outside of the U.S.
These are not requirements, but you’d get bonus points:
- Experience with or knowledge of Shape Up (we don’t run this process in its pure form, but it is the basis of our process).
- Experience helping Engineering departments scale.
Ready to apply?
If you share our passion for serving our customers and bringing truth and transparency to the contracting industry, we’d love to review your application! Are you reading this and wondering if you meet every requirement? Studies show that workplace minorities, such as women and people of color, are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single requirement. At CompanyCam, we pride ourselves on celebrating everyone. We are actively working on creating a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive. If you’re interested in applying, do it! Even if your experiences don’t directly line up or you are ‘missing that one thing’. We are excited to read your application!
This position can be U.S. Remote or in our Lincoln office. At least one year of remote experience is required if you plan on working remotely. We are not accepting applicants outside the U.S. at this time.