Are you an account executive or salesperson in software looking to apply the skills you’ve learned to help a social impact startup scale its revenue by 10x?
Grow Progress is looking for someone who can design and manage a scalable sales system and expand our sales outreach to the long-tail of our market.
We’re powering breakthroughs in persuasion by helping strategists understand the people they’re aiming to move much more deeply — not just how they look, but how they think. We then give them the power to scientifically test their messages at a cost that obliterates the typical barrier to entry for this type of research. You will be a key player in scaling the adoption of a radically accessible new tool to transform the advocacy and market research landscape.
Your role will be to (1) partner with the CEO to transition from a founder-driven sales system to a team-driven sales system by designing and implementing a new sales playbook; and (2) pioneer this system by leading our sales activities with smaller advocacy organizations and agencies.
This is not a typical sales job: we have strong revenue since our software is 5x-10x more affordable than traditional tools — so we are well-positioned to scale its adoption. But we do not have a detailed existing playbook. You will need to be comfortable with a high level of ambiguity and experimentation so we can design a scalable system together.
If you want to apply the lessons of experts like Peter Kazanjy to launch an evidence-driven approach to sales at a high-growth social impact startup, read on for more details.
Who We Are
Grow Progress gives our clients the power to persuade more people based on how they think — not just how they look. We currently work with many of the biggest Democratic pollsters, marketing agencies, and advocacy groups in the country. We help them tailor their messages to better resonate with target audiences, and then scientifically test their messages to maximize the number of people they persuade.
Our team is full of experienced campaigners, engineers, and data scientists who are obsessed with harnessing the power of evidence to make social good strategists more effective. We’re a bunch of ambitious, scrappy nerds who like to make each other laugh.
The Director of Sales will serve as the face of our company to prospective clients: understanding their needs, explaining how our tools can best solve their problems, and then handing them off to our client strategy team once you’ve brought them onboard.
This is an opportunity to build something new. As one of the first members of our sales team, the Director of Sales will have significant opportunities to expand their role and responsibilities, contribute to the company’s overall strategy, and help build out our sales team as we grow.
You will work closely with our CEO to build a replicable system for testing our products with new types of clients, tailoring our pitch, and setting goals. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work on everything including leading pitch meetings, prospecting new leads, negotiating contracts, and helping build the team’s internal processes.
While we have strong existing revenue, we are looking for someone to help us reach the next level. This role requires an entrepreneurial mindset with an understanding for how our research tools can benefit clients. To succeed in this role, you will need to be comfortable co-authoring our sales playbook and iterating on it, instead of relying on systems that are already fully defined.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage a comprehensive book of business to increase revenue through direct sales and partnerships with advocacy groups and agencies, with the opportunity to take on management responsibilities as our team grows
- Set and reach agreed-upon sales targets on schedule
- Become an expert in our company’s offerings, and contribute to the development and expansion of our revenue strategy
- Improve our understanding of clients’ pain points, motivations, blockers, and buying process
- Share insights with our product team about client problems and new feature ideas
- Own the sales lifecycle from lead identification to prospecting to pitching to contracting to handing off the business to our client strategy team
- Research and develop new business opportunities through in-person events, outbound pitches, and inbound requests
- Present to prospective clients, including participating in and leading meetings
- Use our CRM to track the progression of sales leads
- Draft sales materials, including client proposals, marketing documents, and case studies
- Understand client needs and collaborate with the Grow Progress data science and project success teams to scope pricing quotes and requirements
- Prepare and review client agreements
What You’ll Bring:
- You’re likely to have about 5-10 years of experience in a sales role, ideally at a software company — but feel free to apply even if you have more or less experience than that
- Proven ability to self-manage towards defined sales goals and other quantitative objectives
- Ability to understand technical concepts and communicate them clearly to non-technical audiences
- Comfort working in an early-stage environment
- Ability to successfully build buy-in from clients and teammates
- Ability to match client needs to Grow Progress products and services
- Ability and desire to help grow a new business line
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience using PipeDrive or a similar CRM
- Progressive values
- Current U.S. work authorization
- Familiarity with the survey research field and the political landscape is a plus but not required
More About Grow Progress
Our culture is fun, fast-paced, and focused on evidence. We aim to cultivate an environment where creative hypotheses and evidence drive our decisions rather than just anecdotes, and where everyone feels comfortable contributing ideas — even if it’s on a topic outside of their expertise. We work hard to get smarter together by giving each other feedback that’s direct, actionable, and respectful. We’re deeply motivated by the work we do and committed to using this technology ethically, so we’re looking for teammates who feel the same way.
We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. Qualified people of any race, ethnicity, culture, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, social class, marital status, religion, veteran status, or disability status are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation: $150k to $180k yearly on-target earnings depending on experience (we expect that excellent candidates will make more than this by exceeding their goals), plus equity in a fast-growing startup. 60% of this OTE will be base salary. Benefits include a company health plan with medical, dental, and vision insurance, a flexible PTO plan, and a 401(k) with employer matching, among others.
Location: Washington, DC or Remote
To Apply: Fill out the form at the link below. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.