Fundrise offers several options for your work environment from any location in the United States: you can work as a fully-remote team member, either from your own home or an option for company-paid access to any WeWork office, from any location in the United States or you can work in-person at our Washington, DC headquarters if you reside in the area.
Fundrise is a financial technology company that is on a mission to build a better financial system for the individual. Founded in 2012, we’re the largest direct-to-investor real estate investment platform in the United States. We make institutional-quality real estate investments available to individual investors of every size at the touch of a button. We develop software to consume ever more of the value chain of the private investment industry. This pattern is an old story in other industries, but the broader financial system has managed to escape true disruption to date. While today we are focused on how to redefine the process of investing in real estate, we’ve always thought about our mission as bigger than just real estate investment. It’s a way to democratize and reimagine private markets altogether.
Since our launch, Fundrise has raised over $3.1B from investors in all 50 states and has recently been awarded by Top Workplaces USA 2023, as well as the Washington Post’s Top Workplaces 2022 and 2023! Previous awards also include: being honored on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest growing private companies, the Financial Times 2020 and 2021 ranking of the Americas’ fastest growing companies, as well as, recognized as Nerdwallet’s Best Real Estate Investment Platform of 2021.
We’re looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our Investor Web Application organization. Our Investor Web Application is a world-class Vue / TypeScript app that integrates with our API that is shared with our iOS and Android applications. Our investor applications have combined to raise more than $3 billion and serve more than two million registered users. Our Web client organization that you’ll be leading, consists of two feature teams that build and maintain our UX and a third team that is dedicated to Engineering-driven initiatives to achieve Engineering-driven outcomes. This is a role with a significant opportunity to affect both top-line and bottom-line outcomes for our business, and we’re looking for a leader who is excited by that opportunity.
The ideal candidate for this role will bring an expertise of current Web-client technologies and through that expertise, be capable of leading technical initiatives and owning the long-term Engineering roadmap and strategy for the web-client organization. The ideal candidate will have a track record of exercising solid decision making and judgment, be able to link engineering and business outcomes and is ready to serve as the senior-most decision maker in our Web-client organization. You are eager and capable of navigating our codebase to gain an understanding of the details of issues and challenges that are facing the teams in the Web client organization. You are familiar with modern, decoupled Web applications and how to work effectively with a shared API infrastructure. You know how to work effectively with a product organization, make smart tradeoffs and understand how to drive the optimal delivery of software to our users. You are also an experienced manager and will be responsible for managing the career growth of the software engineers in the Web-client organization.
- Own and be accountable for the delivery of our Investor Web application software to directly support the growth initiatives of our business
- Lead and own all technical aspects of our Investor Web application and engineering organization
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of engineers and engineering leaders on your team
- Develop a deep understanding of our core business and how technology can accelerate our goals and grow our competitive advantage
- Work collaboratively with a wide range of partners and stakeholders including partner engineering teams, product, design, marketing and delivery to accomplish both short-term and long-term goals
- Proactively drive communications, team performance, and application quality
- 10+ years experience in software development
- 5+ years experience developing a production web application in a modern CI / CD cloud-native environment
- 3+ years experience growing and leading multiple engineering teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A natural technical curiosity and an ability to explore and learn any parts of our software stack to enhance your understanding and command of our systems
- Experience with Vue and/or Typescript in a production environment
- Familiarity with some of the tools we use such as Figma, LaunchDarkly, Datadog, Sentry, Playwright, Docker, AWS CloudFront, AWS S3, AWS CodeDeploy, AWS CodePipeline, AWS CDK or CloudFormation as well as tools that could improve our operations
- An interest and enthusiasm for finance, fintech, real estate and / or venture investing
The estimated base salary range Fundrise expects to pay for this position is between $237,000 and $267,000 annually. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, such as a target discretionary performance bonus and restricted stock units (as applicable). The range for this role takes into account a wide variety of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: candidate’s relevant skill set, experience and training, licensure and certifications, and other business/organizational needs.
Benefits at Fundrise
• Great medical, dental, and vision insurance with coverage of 100% of employee premiums and 50% of dependent premiums
• Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses, dependent care, and parking
• 401(k) with 3% contributed by Fundrise, regardless of whether you are actively contributing yourself
• Fully covered life insurance and short-term disability
• Significant equity via our employee stock grant program
• Company-paid access to WeWork
• Gympass benefit including mental health resources
• Udemy license for on-demand continuous learning content
• Quarterly Book Initiative to select two books from a curated list related to a different topic each quarter
• Flexible PTO
• Employee Assistance Program
• Paid parental leave