Director of Business Development
Are you a political strategist or opinion researcher excited about pioneering a new approach to persuasion?
Grow Progress is looking for strategists to design and pitch engagements to the leading progressive advocacy groups and agencies.
We’re powering breakthroughs in persuasion by helping social good strategists to uncover what truly motivates an audience — and then scientifically test how to change their minds. We’re making these tools radically accessible by allowing strategists to test their messages 10x more affordably than a traditional poll, so they have the freedom to take big swings and learn faster. Randomized controlled experiments are also significantly more accurate than traditional methods, so you will play a key role in evangelizing a more effective approach to the progressive research community.
Your role will be to (1) build relationships with decision makers and strategists at the leading social good advocacy groups and research firms; (2) understand their challenges; and (3) recommend how they can use our tools to breakthrough with the people they need to win. You will design and pitch strategic plans using our innovative research tools, and then hand off new partners to our client strategy team once they sign on.
Please note that you do not need to have had prior business development experience to be successful in this role — just a consultative approach to diagnosing client challenges, and the ability to clearly explain how our technical products can solve them.
If you want to establish yourself as a leading strategist who can solve the problems of the most influential advocacy groups with innovative new tools, read on for more details.
Who We Are
Grow Progress gives our clients the power to persuade more people based on how they think — not just how they look. We currently work with many of the biggest Democratic pollsters, marketing agencies, and advocacy groups in the country. We help them tailor their messages to better resonate with target audiences, and then scientifically test their messages to maximize the number of people they persuade.
Our team is full of experienced campaigners, engineers, and data scientists who are obsessed with harnessing the power of evidence to make social good strategists more effective. We’re a bunch of ambitious, scrappy nerds who like to make each other laugh.
The Director of Business Development will serve as the face of our company to prospective clients: understanding their needs, explaining how our tools can best solve their problems, and then handing them off to our client strategy team once you’ve brought them onboard.
This is an opportunity to build something new. As one of the first members of our business development team, the Director of Business Development will have significant opportunities to expand their role and responsibilities and contribute to the company’s overall strategy.
Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work on everything including leading pitch meetings, prospecting new leads, negotiating contracts, and recommending ideas to improve our products.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage partnerships with leading advocacy groups, agencies, and research firms
- Set and reach agreed-upon sales targets on schedule
- Become an expert in our company’s offerings, and contribute to the development and expansion of our revenue strategy
- Improve our understanding of clients’ challenges and motivations
- Share insights with our product team about client problems and new feature ideas
- Own the sales lifecycle from establishing new relationships to pitching to contracting to handing off the new engagements to our client strategy team
- Research and develop new opportunities through in-person events, outbound pitches, and inbound requests
- Present to prospective clients, including participating in and leading meetings
- Understand client needs and collaborate with the Grow Progress data science and project success teams to scope engagements
- Prepare and review client agreements
What You’ll Bring:
- 4-9 years of experience conducting opinion research or planning strategy based on it, typically at a consulting firm, media agency, or opinion research firm
- Proven ability to self-manage towards defined goals and metrics
- Ability to understand technical concepts and communicate them clearly to non-technical audiences
- Comfort with working in the ambiguity of an early-stage environment
- Experience producing client-ready memos and decks
- Ability to successfully build buy-in from clients and teammates
- Ability to match client needs to Grow Progress products and services
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Familiarity with the survey research field and its methods
- An understanding of the U.S. political landscape
- Progressive values
- Current U.S. work authorization
- Experience working in politics with campaigns or advocacy organizations is a plus
More About Grow Progress
Our culture is fun, fast-paced, and focused on evidence. We aim to cultivate an environment where creative hypotheses and evidence drive our decisions rather than just anecdotes, and where everyone feels comfortable contributing ideas — even if it’s on a topic outside of their expertise. We work hard to get smarter together by giving each other feedback that’s direct, actionable, and respectful. We’re deeply motivated by the work we do and committed to using this technology ethically, so we’re looking for teammates who feel the same way.
We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. Qualified people of any race, ethnicity, culture, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, social class, marital status, religion, veteran status, or disability status are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation: $130,000 yearly on-target earnings (we expect that excellent candidates will make more than this by exceeding their goals), plus equity in a fast-growing startup. $78,000 of this compensation package will be base salary. Benefits include a company health plan with medical, dental, and vision insurance, a flexible PTO plan, and a 401(k) with employer matching, among others.
Location: Washington, DC or Remote
To Apply: Fill out the form at the link below. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.