UpTogether believes every person is an expert in their own life. But too many systems in our society have been set up to prevent hardworking people from getting ahead.
That’s because in the U.S., there is a broadly held stereotype that if you’re experiencing poverty or financial hardship, it’s solely your fault. After all, others have “pulled themselves up by their bootstraps” and you can too.
UpTogether knows that’s not true. Poverty is a policy choice. That’s why starting in 2023, we renewed our focus on a bold goal of changing systems and policies so all people in the United States are seen and invested in for their strengths, and able to build power, reinforce their autonomy and drive their own economic and social mobility.
Our systems change strategy is three-pronged: We work with individuals, families, funders, governments and community partners to:
- Invest unrestricted cash in families and individuals with limited incomes
- Amplify stories that tell the true lived experiences of people with financial hardship and financially under-resourced communities
- Rally for state and local policies and practices that support and accelerate socioeconomic mobility
The strategy is grounded in our strength-based approach of community, capital and choice, which honors people’s initiatives, abilities and self-determination.
|How We Do It||Why We Do It|
|Community:||We learn from financially under-resourced communities and co-create opportunities for people to build and strengthen their social networks.||People benefit from the power of community and naturally and routinely exchange social capital and help one another.|
|Capital||We invest in individuals and families through unrestricted cash.||People must have access to sufficient capital to invest in their own lives.|
|Choice||We trust that people are capable of making decisions for themselves and their families.||People are experts in their own lives and must have full choice and control over their time and resources.|
At UpTogether, we work towards these values:
- Community: We’re better together than we are alone, and we know that with the support of our neighbors, family and friends, all of us will have a better shot at achieving our goals and dreams.
- Impact: We focus our time and energy on collective work that will have the largest impact for people experiencing financial hardship.
- Collaboration: We center the lived experiences of our members, partner with them to change systems and work with them to co-create opportunities for people to reach their financial goals.
- Racial Equity: We are committed to being an anti-racist organization, and we promote anti-racist policies that eliminate the racial wealth divide.
- Leadership: We intentionally create space for everyone to lead, regardless of their title.
- Choice: We respect everyone’s autonomy and know each person is capable of making their own decisions.
UpTogether is seeking a full-time Director of Analytics. The Director of Analytics is responsible for developing UpTogether’s analytics infrastructure and deriving actionable insights to advance the organization’s mission. The ideal candidate will enjoy overseeing an Analytics team within a growing organization and maintaining data pipelines that drive insight. The candidate will have strong communication skills blended with a technical background and the skillset to surface insights that UpTogether staff can use to drive impact.
UpTogether’s databases are multidimensional and highly normalized. The Director of Analytics will be responsible for maintaining our data pipeline, regularly authoring new data transformations and third-party integrations (such as ingesting Census data to augment our dataset) to derive new insights. The Director of Analytics will develop the organization’s business intelligence (BI) capabilities by selecting and administering a BI tool that fits our needs and creating user-friendly, fine-grained access dashboards.
The Director of Analytics will work closely with Engineering to develop and manage ETL pipes in support of analytics work. This position reports directly to the Senior Director of Product and Learning.
This is a 100% remote position, so the successful candidate will be located where a solid internet connection is available, and perform duties in a functional work environment.
Leadership, Management & Communication
- Work with leadership to prioritize data use cases across the organization including those associated with operations, product, and mission impact
- Manage and lead a team of analysts that provides analytics and survey research analysis in consultation with internal stakeholders to achieve UpTogether’s mission
- Partner with technical, product, and UX teams to establish a data and analytics strategy that accomplishes UpTogether’s strategic goals
- Promote a culture of data driven discussions, healthy skepticism, intellectual curiosity and knowledge sharing while maintaining an environment that is upbeat and fun
- Design and execute a vision and roadmap for a data pipeline that provides a comprehensive and efficient foundation for the data needs of the organization
- Leverage data analytics best practices, BI solutions, and SQL knowledge to conduct thorough analyses of complex data from UpTogether strategic pathway activities; extract important insights and clearly communicate key findings to leadership and staff
- Use and oversee the use of statistical methods to analyze data and generate useful insights, key performance indicators, business reports, and dashboards to inform and achieve organizational objectives.
- Lead analytics projects to extract, manage, and analyze member data from multiple sources, ensuring that deadlines are met and that all deliverables provide substantive value to stakeholders, adhere to our standards, and further our mission
- Translates analytical and technical concepts to senior management and non-technical employees to enable understanding and drive informed decisions
- Play a lead role as needed in the selection and implementation of data and analytics technology tools across the organization
- Stay abreast of industry best practices and promote adoption of visualization tools where possible
Data Strategy & Management
- Design plans and processes for most effectively collecting, cleaning, and analyzing data, including strategies for ensuring data integrity
- Create and implement guidelines for data management to ensure adequacy, accuracy and legitimacy of data across all departments
- In collaboration with technology and engineering partners, devise and implement efficient and secure products and procedures for data management, analysis, and reporting with attention to all technical aspects
- Track compliance with existing data agreements (data sharing agreements, business associate agreements, etc) with partner organizations and helps facilitate the signing of new agreements where necessary
- Provide leadership for data collection and integration efforts and ensure that methodologies implemented represent best practices in data management and use; ensure the Analytics team is writing high quality, maintainable code
Qualifications, Attributes & Skills
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate with subject matter specialists to understand their decision-making and data needs
- Problem-solving and insight generation skills driven by curiosity
- Solid background in statistics, experience with econometrics, natural language processing and/or machine learning a plus
- Experience with web analytics (such as Google Analytics or Amplitude) and/or analyzing financial data a plus
- Mastery of a scientific computing language (we rely heavily on R but use some Python a well)
- Ability to build effective data visualizations and use them for storytelling
- Experience with data modeling, comfortability writing raw SQL
- Experience with Analytics Engineering (dbt) is a plus
- Strong writing skills to explain and contextualize data analysis
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills as needed
- Ability to pivot quickly as needed
- Demonstrated commitment to, or passion for, our mission; deep belief and trust in the innate capabilities of low-income families and communities; willingness to engage in conversations aimed at addressing erroneous stereotypes about low-income people and people of color
Additionally, applicants should
- Be excited and energized by a dynamic work environment.
- Be keenly interested in learning from others
- Have a functional work environment and solid internet connection
- Demonstrated leadership through learning, creating solutions, and accountability.
This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), and vacation. Salary range is commensurate with experience or enter range $120,000–140,000.
We strive to create a community that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion, and we support the efforts of others to build such communities. We encourage all qualified and interested persons to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Sponsorship: Please be aware that UpTogether is unable to offer employment to candidates that are not already legally authorized to work in the US at this time. Applicants that require sponsorship will unfortunately not be considered for employment with UpTogether.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter via this link: Apply Here. Your cover letter should outline how your personal and/or work history will contribute to the mission of UpTogether. We ask that you do not include a photo or image of yourself on your resume or cover letter. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.