The New Jersey State Office of Innovation is looking for diverse and experienced team members to deploy world-class innovative and digital services that solve pressing public interest challenges for the people of New Jersey. Our work spans numerous issue and policy areas, and is focused on making an impact in the lives of the New Jerseyans that we serve. Our work has decreased the amount of time it takes to apply for Unemployment Insurance, made it easier to start, operate, and grow a business in the Garden State, and connected millions of New Jerseyans to government programs, services, and benefits.
Our team members wear many hats, contributing to both the execution of core projects and the evolution of the Office of Innovation. We use data and modern research, design, and development methods to inform our decision making, and we collaborate with stakeholders within and outside of government to understand and solve challenges. To learn more about the New Jersey Office of Innovation, visit our About Us page. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are seeking a deputy chief of staff with at least 7 years of experience delivering impactful outcomes in a government or related setting. You should have demonstrable success solving complex and highly-ambiguous problems in bureaucratic settings, yet preserve an agile and adaptive approach to this role. As a key member of our leadership team, you will play a central role in the strategic advancement of the Office of Innovation, but you will also serve as an individual contributor – no task is too big or too small. Core aspects of this role will involve developing, advocating for, and administering the Office’s multi-million dollar budget, and supporting key program areas, including the Resident Experience initiative. This position will report to the chief of staff, and work closely with initiative leads and other team members.
As a part of the team, your responsibilities may include:
Support and drive organizational advancement and management
- Collaborate with team members to help design, implement, and administer office policies, processes, and activities that contribute to the continued advancement and evolution of the Office
- Support the identification and management of financial resources to ensure that adequate funding is available to advance the Office’s core mission, projects, and outcomes, and that funding is expended effectively, efficiently, and in alignment with all applicable rules, regulations, and policies
- Strengthen and support the implementation of approaches and tactics that ensure programmatic collaboration and coordination across the Office’s programs, products, and practice areas
- Aide in the administration of internal communication and information flows to ensure that the right information is reaching the right team members at the right time
- Work with team members to develop and advance practices that promote and encourage the healthy evolution of organizational culture.
Build, manage, and improve partnerships and relationships with Office of Innovation stakeholders and collaborators
- Identify, cultivate, and maintain relationships with key stakeholders across State government, academia, and community-based organizations to support advancement of the Office of Innovation’s work and mission
- Coordinate with team members to ensure that government and community partnerships and collaborations are aligned and transparent across the organization
- Support and coordinate efforts to strategically promote and advance Office of Innovation programs, products, services, offerings, and achievements with government and public stakeholders, including State, local, and Federal government partners, civil society, and the general public
Navigate government, regulatory, and compliance processes and procedures to advance the Office’s mission and work
- Provide programmatic support to project teams to ensure that product and project goals and objectives can be met in a manner consistent with State requirements
- Support and coordinate efforts to advise the Administration on policy and regulations related to the Office’s mission, projects, and programs related to modernizing, improving, facilitating, and streamlining government services to individuals and businesses.
- Assist and guide project teams in navigating bureaucratic processes, requirements, and compliance, and support the development of creative and sustainable solutions to challenges that inhibit the advancement of core Office initiatives and projects
Support team growth, health, and development
- Support program leads and project teams in identifying talent needs, and coordinate and support the attraction and evaluation of prospective team members
- Aide in the development and implementation of approaches that support the retention and professional advancement of team talent
Do what’s needed for the team
- Execute additional duties and responsibilities to advance the Office of Innovation’s mission and work
Preferred Technical Experience, Skills and Abilities
Applicants will be assessed based on a demonstrated ability to accomplish the above-discussed responsibilities. We are seeking individuals with the following experience, expertise, skills, and abilities:
- 7+ years of relevant experience required, as is a demonstrated and deep commitment to public service and impact
- Proven expertise in, and deep understanding of, government budgeting, policy and administration processes
- Demonstrated ability to solve diverse problems in highly ambiguous settings, and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- A demonstrable ability to rapidly context switch, re-prioritize tasks, and address in-demand team and stakeholder needs with speed and agility
- Exceptional communication and people management skills with the ability to build, maintain, and grow professional relationships
- Demonstrated success in navigating government bureaucracies and institutions, and achieving desired outcomes
- Experience with executive advisement and coordinating across C-level roles, internally and externally
- Experience with, and understanding of, innovation practices in government and/or large institutions, including the use of data to drive decision-making, and approaching problem-solving collaboratively and in an agile manner
- Willingness to be available as needed during off hours for occasional rapid/crisis response
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required; advanced degree such as a J.D., MBA, or master’s degree in public administration, public policy, public finance or another field related to job responsibilities and qualifications is preferred
Compensation: Up to approximately $150,000 (depending on experience) + full benefits
The New Jersey Office of Innovation is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
We are deeply committed to the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusiveness and seek to create a pluralistic community for all.
We strongly encourage people of color, members of racial and ethnic minority groups, women, LGBTQI+ people, those with disabilities, and Veterans to apply. We are committed to building a team that is reflective of New Jersey’s incredible diversity.
We do not discriminate against any candidate because of color, race, age, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, membership in an employee organization, pregnancy, marital status, status as a parent, ancestry, national origin, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, retaliation, or other non-merit based factors.
You must be authorized to work in the United States. Candidates may be required to pass a background check and complete additional steps as part of the application and onboarding process. You will be considered an “at-will” employee, meaning both employer and employee have the right to terminate employment with or without cause or notice.