UpTogether believes every person is an expert in their own life. But too many systems in our society have been set up to prevent hardworking people from getting ahead.
That’s because in the U.S., there is a broadly held stereotype that if you’re experiencing poverty or financial hardship, it’s solely your fault. After all, others have “pulled themselves up by their bootstraps” and you can too.
UpTogether knows that’s not true. Poverty is a policy choice. That’s why starting in 2023, we renewed our focus on a bold goal of changing systems and policies so all people in the United States are seen and invested in for their strengths, and able to build power, reinforce their autonomy and drive their own economic and social mobility.
Our systems change strategy is three-pronged: We work with individuals, families, funders, governments and community partners to:
- Invest unrestricted cash in families and individuals with limited incomes
- Amplify stories that tell the true lived experiences of people with financial hardship and financially under-resourced communities
- Rally for state and local policies and practices that support and accelerate socioeconomic mobility
The strategy is grounded in our strength-based approach of community, capital and choice, which honors people’s initiatives, abilities and self-determination.
|How We Do It||Why We Do It|
|Community:||We learn from financially under-resourced communities and co-create opportunities for people to build and strengthen their social networks.||People benefit from the power of community and naturally and routinely exchange social capital and help one another.|
|Capital||We invest in individuals and families through unrestricted cash.||People must have access to sufficient capital to invest in their own lives.|
|Choice||We trust that people are capable of making decisions for themselves and their families.||People are experts in their own lives and must have full choice and control over their time and resources.|
At UpTogether, we work towards these values:
- Community: We’re better together than we are alone, and we know that with the support of our neighbors, family and friends, all of us will have a better shot at achieving our goals and dreams.
- Impact: We focus our time and energy on collective work that will have the largest impact for people experiencing financial hardship.
- Collaboration: We center the lived experiences of our members, partner with them to change systems and work with them to co-create opportunities for people to reach their financial goals.
- Racial Equity: We are committed to being an anti-racist organization, and we promote anti-racist policies that eliminate the racial wealth divide.
- Leadership: We intentionally create space for everyone to lead, regardless of their title.
- Choice: We respect everyone’s autonomy and know each person is capable of making their own decisions.
UpTogether is seeking a full-time data engineer to support the analytics team. This role will have ownership over the data pipeline, including:
- Building and maintaining the Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) process, drawing data from our internal data repositories, survey tools, engagement on the platform, external APIs and more
- Owning the data warehouse itself including system architecture, design, and implementation
- Developing and maintaining data documentation, and/or implementing auto-documentation, that enables other users to easily navigate our data
- Designing data models
- Importing and integrating new data sources based on organizational needs
- Performing data cleansing, standardization, and transformation
- Contributing to data strategy and platform feature development
- Working closely with Analytics and end users with access to existing data
Extra preferred skills
- Experience with data visualization and business intelligence tools, a strong plus
- Ability to perform analysis using R to deliver reports as needed, a strong plus
- Knowledge of best practices related to data security
This role reports to the Director of Analytics and will be working collaboratively with the technology team, comprised of full-stack engineers, analysts, user experience researchers, and support. We are very active on Slack and are focused not only on doing meaningful work, but also enjoying the process of working and building together.
This is a 100% remote position, so the successful candidate will be located where a solid internet connection is available, and perform duties in a functional work environment.
- Experience designing, using and optimizing columnar databases
- Strong proficiency with SQL, FiveTran, dbt, Airflow, and Kafka
- AWS experience
- Github and collaborative code management experience
- Proficiency with Python and other scripting and querying languages such as R
- Self-starter who wants to build things
- Demonstrated track record of building pipelines for Analytics needs
- Be involved in all phases of a project (design, build, test, deploy, and maintain)
- A personal connection to UpTogether’s mission
Qualifications, Attributes & Skills
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills as needed
- Ability to pivot quickly as needed
- Demonstrated commitment to, or passion for, our mission; deep belief and trust in the innate capabilities of low-income families and communities; willingness to engage in conversations aimed at addressing erroneous stereotypes about low-income people and people of color
- Be excited and energized by a dynamic work environment
- Be keenly interested in learning from others
- Have a functional work environment and solid internet connection
- Demonstrated leadership through learning, creating solutions, and accountability
This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision, 401(k), and vacation. Salary is commensurate with experience, between $90,000–110,000 annually.
We strive to create a community that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion, and we support the efforts of others to build such communities. We encourage all qualified and interested persons to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter via this link: Apply Now. Your cover letter should outline how your personal and/or work history will contribute to the mission of UpTogether. e ask that you do not include a photo or image of yourself on your resume or cover letter. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.