At Substack, we believe that what you read matters and good writing is valuable. We’re hiring a communications manager to help lead our storytelling efforts, strategically securing media coverage for Substack and for the writers and podcasters who use our platform. The ideal candidate will be experienced in both internal and external communications, with a deep interest in supporting writers and their right to free expression. The communications manager will have strong, established relationships with press, and an eagerness to work in a fast-paced, startup environment. This role reports to the head of communications.
- Work closely with the head of communications on strategy, objectives, consistency and guardrails for communications across the company.
- Work with the writers and podcasters who use Substack or are launching on Substack, proactively pitching stories that help to amplify their work and grow their subscriber numbers.
- Help develop and execute the corporate communications strategy for Substack, proactively pitching media appearances and stories and responding to inbound requests.
- Partner closely with the internal marketing, product, and data teams to deeply understand writer and reader behavior, and leverage insights to build storylines that demonstrate why Substack is the place where the most interesting conversations happen.
- Work with key collaborators across the company to guide our strategy and approach to internal communications, including employee messaging and all hands programming.
- 5+ years experience in a public-relations role, in house or agency, at least some of which is tech or startup communications.
- Excellent written, verbal, and diplomatic skills, with a sharp attention to detail.
- Strong media relations skills, with experience in working to develop long lead stories with reporters and handling reactive, crisis related inbound media requests.
- A proactive, conscientious P.R. approach, balancing daily and weekly opportunities with longer term ones.
- A voracious reader and subscriber to Substacks, with a keen sense of the evolving tech and media landscape.
- The ability to work quickly and effectively while managing several projects under deadline.
Substack is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or transgender status), age, national origin, veteran or disability status. We’re seeking people passionate about enabling independent expression and building a better business model for creators. If you want to see what media, communities, and content can become when unmoored from advertising models, and you have the skills and experience to contribute, we’d love to meet you.