Super provides access for everyone to experience more of what life has to offer, whatever their income or circumstance.
We solve real-world problems in fintech, travel, and eCommerce as we help our millions of customers spend less and save more. We have raised over $100MM to date and have driven over $1B in sales since the release of our first product (SuperTravel) in 2016. Our growth and impact are a testament to the work and dedication of our 200+ person team around the world.
We are constantly innovating, building, and iterating. We use data to help us move fast and make decisions. We have an open and transparent culture where everyone has access to information empowering them to be an owner. We are all one team and you will find everyone here is willing to help each other work towards a common goal. Check out this article from our CEO, Hussein Fazal on Super’s Core Values.
Employee well-being is a top priority. Whether it’s access to physical/mental health services, competitive compensation, unlimited vacation, or our remote-first work environment – we provide flexible benefits that reflect our employee-first culture and our commitment to a healthy work-life integration.
For highly motivated self-starters, Super accelerates your career growth and unlocks your potential through the people, work, and programs it has to offer. Come join us to make an impact in your career and in the world.
About the Role
We are looking to bring on a Chief Architect, the most senior IC role at our company, to be the point person for technical decision making across our engineering org as we scale from 75 to 150 engineers and from one product to a multi-vertical superapp.
As a Chief Architect you will:
- Oversee the technical direction for cross-engineering full-stack web development projects and system architecture (handling 1000s of qps)
- Work at the intersection of our engineering tribes – product engineering, platform engineering, infrastructure & tools, and data
- Raise the bar for engineering through mentorship, guiding by example, and contributing to technical decision making and working groups
- Tackle high-priority, high-impact initiatives to propel our company forward
- Report into the VP of Engineering, but work largely in a self-directed manner. Your role will be versatile, making use of your judgment to direct your efforts to the highest leverage use of your time in any given week
- Contribute to quarterly OKR planning and brainstorming to ensure we are prioritizing technical initiatives to improve engineering productivity and architecture robustness
- Help ensure our engineering teams strike the right balance between building quickly and building sustainably, and build vs. buy decision making
- We use a state of the art architecture powered by microservices written with Node, Python (WSGI / ASGI), React, and our proprietary chatbot engine
- We use Postgres and DynamoDB for storage and Redis for caching
- We use Gitlab for version control and CI/CD
- We use AWS, making use of Kubernetes (EKS), RDS, etc
- We invest heavily in monitoring and automated alerting using Datadog
- We log application-level information using a proprietary logging pipeline, and leverage data analysis using Snowflake
- We use Amplitude, Hotjar, and LogRocket for client-side metrics and experimentation
- You have 5+ years experience as a Staff/Senior Staff Software Engineer, or experience as a Principal Engineer / Architect or technical head of engineering (ex. CTO)
- You have expertise in full-stack web development, system design, and using modern web technologies & cloud-based infra
- You are still highly technical and have at least staff-level coding know-how at this point in your career
- You have been a technical lead (not necessarily people lead) for shipping major features / projects, and have worked with multiple non-trivial codebases and across teams
- You have mentored junior and senior engineers, and look forward to continuing to do so
- You have experience owning, monitoring, and debugging production services, including high QPS services
- You are highly motivated / passionate, interested in wearing multiple hats / continuous learning, and looking forward to working in a startup environment with an emphasis on ultimately delivering business value
- You are a positive person who enjoys finding a solution to problems, not just identifying them
- You have strong technical and non-technical communication
- You get excited about guiding cross-team technical discussions and driving change progressively and through influence
Perks & Benefits
- We are a Remote-first company, we offer flexible working hours with complete work-from-home freedom and a guilt-free unlimited vacation policy
- Enjoy rewards and travel discounts using SuperTravel
- Competitive salaries, equity options, full benefits from day one, wellness budgets, and paid development – we’ve got you covered!
- UberEats credits, meal budgets, special treats, and team lunches. When in the office, enjoy daily snack services and unlimited coffee, tea, and other drinks
- Guiding continued growth with Learning & Development, Diversity & Inclusion events, TED talk Tuesdays, and Lunch & Learn opportunities
- We welcome new additions with a generous EI top-up, parental leave, additional vacation, and a flexible return-to-work plan
- Game nights, Happy Hours, internal hackathons, team-building games, workouts, and more
We Believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If needed, please notify our Talent Acquisition Partner.