Almanac is building an operating system for distributed collaboration to help remote teams get work done without needless meetings and distracting messages.
Almanac’s collaborative doc editor helps distributed and hybrid teams cut Slack, email, and meetings by 80%—so you can reclaim a full day each week to focus on what matters.
Hundreds of teams from 2 to 2000 are already using Almanac to collaborate on docs, organize documentation, and streamline processes as they scale.
That’s where you come in: we’re looking for a passionate, seasoned Brand Designer to define Almanac’s brand and ethos as a generation-defining productivity company.
About the Role
Design is at the heart of Almanac. You’ll be responsible for realizing our vision to build a cloud-native alternative to Microsoft Office that reinvents how work gets done.
More specifically, you’ll be responsible for shaping how we represent ourselves visually through our marketing campaigns, and brand experiences. You’ll create, evolve, and maintain an innovative, versatile visual identity design system. You’ll work with a team that sweats the details, and makes it seem effortless.
Finally, you’ll help us build out the culture of a humble, smart, collaborative design team that becomes our secret weapon and the envy of our competitors.
Almanac’s Design Team Values
- Simplicity above all
- Build tooling to support how humans get work done
- Be pulled by customers
- Focus on the details
- Become the benchmark
What You’ll Do
- Own major marketing touch points like the Almanac marketing website, digital advertising campaigns, iconography and other branded materials.
- Brainstorm, sketch, illustrate and prototype brand design concepts and solutions.
- Collaborate with leadership, design and marketing teams to define how product value proposition should be communicated to our target audiences.
- Evolve, expand, and maintain the direction of the Almanac visual brand.
- Help manage vendors and contractors to ensure brand consistency across all channels and experiences.
- Work cross-functionally to represent our design values, solicit feedback, facilitate design discussions, and ensure visual asset quality.
- Provide feedback and join efforts to continually improve our design processes.
- Lead by example—do phenomenal work and help people on the team learn how you do it through mentorship and coaching.
Experiences that make you stand out:
- Proven ability to carry a branding project from beginning to end, from research and strategy to final collateral and integration into Product and Marketing teams.
- An outstanding portfolio showcasing a strong foundation in graphic design, color theory, typography, iconography, communication design and elegant visual design.
- Tenure at an early or growth-stage startup that sold to individual users and enterprise.
- Strong track record independently delivering work as well as influencing the work of other designers, contractors, and agencies.
- Expertise in prototyping to explore and convey design solutions to stakeholders.
- Experience in creating animations for the UX/UI of digital products is big plus.
- Working and collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment.
- Leadership experience running user research and conducting tests with users to get feedback.
- Preferred: Design QA (esp with Storybook).
Skills That Make You Extraordinary
Visual Flexibility: Ability to adapt to any style or art direction that satisfy product or brand needs. You have a clear, distinct style, and an excellent ability to codify ideas into a simple, brilliant, illustration.
Visual Cohesion: You’ve shown you’re excellent designing, building, direction, and extending design systems—including the small polish work required to nail the big idea.
A Love of Startups: You have a strong strategic sense for how to build leading brands and identity systems in a fast-paced, global operating environment.
A Knack for Story: You can interweave visual expression with marketing and business storytelling to deliver results based on strategy.
Systems Thinking: You excel at extrapolating and extending shared patterns and behaviors.
Hands-On: You have the design skills to effectively communicate concepts, direction and decisions with the team and with external partners.
Crave Feedback: You’re persuasive and humble in explaining your work, process, and decisions and crave feedback to help you design at your best.
Organizational and Presentation Skills: You excel in written and verbal communication (critical to our async culture!).
Working at Almanac
At Almanac, we’re looking for structured thinkers full of passion, ambition, and kindness. We’d love for you apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. Your experience, skills, and interests will help you stand out—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Almanac, we welcome people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives who aren’t afraid to challenge the status quo. Join us.
At Almanac, we:
- Are fundamental optimists who believe we’re still only at the start of the digital age.
- Go to extraordinary lengths to distinguish ourselves through world-class work.
- Prioritize quality over speed, and speed over scope.
- Desire working with deeply kind, mission-driven people.
- Strive to make the complex simple.
- Use first principles to debate ideas, test assumptions, and make decisions.
- Seek the truth by putting data above opinions.
- Assume good intent and give tactical feedback to help each other get better.
- Hold no ego—when our customers win, we all win.
As a company, we are seriously committed to your professional development and growth:
- You will set your own monthly goals aligned with our ambitious strategy
- You will have our collective support in achieving major wins—and personal coaching from your manager
- You will be able to request and manage your own budget
- You will be encouraged to take risks, try new things, and be creative with your work
- You will have many opportunities to exchange and engage in feedback
- You will be offered continual chances to stretch yourself and raise your own bar
- Helping a small company grow 30%+ month-over-month
- You will be rewarded for achieving excellence and mastery
Interviewing at Almanac:
It’s our goal to provide an efficient, transparent interview experience that respects you and your time. Our roles typically have a four stage process and we like to move through those as quickly as calendars allow. After submitting your application you will hear from us whether you are a strong fit for the role or not! From here you can expect:
- An initial screen with our Head of Operations, Phil
- A design exercise and review with the team
- The opportunity to meet our lead designer, Ivan
- An interview with our Head of Marketing, Alice
- A leadership interview with our CEO, Adam
Your time is valuable, so we try to give you as much information as possible throughout our process to make the best decision for you. To start, here’s our open source company handbook, which contains docs about our vision, our virtues, our compensation philosophy, and our approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Apply for the job
Do you want to join our team as our new Brand and Visual Designer? Then we’d love to hear about you!