Fundrise offers several options for your work environment from any location in the United States: you can work as a fully-remote team member, either from your own home or an option for company-paid access to any WeWork office, from any location in the United States or you can work in-person at our Washington, DC headquarters if you reside in the area.
Fundrise is a financial technology company that is on a mission to build a better financial system for the individual. Founded in 2012, we’re the largest direct-to-investor real estate investment platform in the United States. We make institutional-quality real estate investments available to individual investors of every size at the touch of a button. We develop software to consume ever more of the value chain of the private investment industry. This pattern is an old story in other industries, but the broader financial system has managed to escape true disruption to date. While today we are focused on how to redefine the process of investing in real estate, we’ve always thought about our mission as bigger than just real estate investment. It’s a way to democratize and reimagine private markets altogether.
Since our launch, Fundrise has raised over $3.1B from investors in all 50 states and has recently been awarded by Top Workplaces USA 2023, as well as the Washington Post’s Top Workplaces 2022 and 2023! Previous awards also include: being honored on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest growing private companies, the Financial Times 2020 and 2021 ranking of the Americas’ fastest growing companies, as well as, recognized as Nerdwallet’s Best Real Estate Investment Platform of 2021.
As a backend software engineer, you will play a key role in building our groundbreaking investment platform and scaling our software to meet the demands of our rapidly growing user base, all while maintaining the highest standards for quality.
You will work in a collaborative environment with a team of highly motivated and talented engineers who are passionate about quality software. You will also work closely with other engineering teams as well as key stakeholders across product, investor relations, accounting, and legal to ensure we are delivering the best value to our investors.
Our backend teams focus on the systems that drive the platform, and their work impacts the internal tooling used every day by our accounting and finance teams as well as investor-facing performance calculations for all users. If you have the skills and experience outlined below and are interested in joining a mission-driven company working to build a better financial system, then apply today!
- Build, scale, and improve software systems for a rapidly-growing fintech investment platform
- Take full ownership of the end-to-end software development lifecycle, participating in design and architecture decisions, scoping, implementing new systems and features, testing, deploying, and resolving issues that arise in production
- Review pull requests and participate in code reviews to ensure software quality
- Maintain and monitor systems deployed on AWS
- Design, Implement and troubleshoot tasks across our technology stack including Snowflake, MySQL, Postgres, Spring Batch and Spring Boot
- Contribute to infrastructure development, integrations with AWS services
- Collaborate with teams outside of engineering to deliver, assess, and iterate on our solution
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- 4 years of Java experience
- 2 years of experience with at least one Java application framework (Spring, RESTEasy, Jersey)
- 2 years of experience with SQL and a strong understanding of relational databases where transactions and throughput were critical to operations
- Understanding of the basics of ORM frameworks such as Hibernate or Entity Framework
- Strong interest in writing clean, loosely-coupled, orthogonal software components according to SOLID principles
- Demonstrated track record of effective communication and coordination with business stakeholders
- Ability to absorb and understand large and complex new domains and workflows quickly
- Experience working with AWS (EC2, CDK, CloudFront, S3, SQS, and Lambda)
- Experience with cloud-native architecture and application development
- Experience making contributions to scalable architecture projects
- Experience refactoring monolithic applications to microservices, APIs, and/or serverless mode
- Familiarity with Snowflake or other Big Data technologies
- An interest or background in finance and/or real estate
The estimated base salary range Fundrise expects to pay for this position is between $123,000 and $183,000 annually. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, such as a target discretionary performance bonus and restricted stock units (as applicable). The range for this role takes into account a wide variety of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: candidate’s relevant skill set, experience and training, licensure and certifications, and other business/organizational needs.
Benefits at Fundrise
• Great medical, dental, and vision insurance with coverage of 100% of employee premiums and 50% of dependent premiums
• Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses, dependent care, and parking
• 401(k) with 3% contributed by Fundrise, regardless of whether you are actively contributing yourself
• Fully covered life insurance and short-term disability
• Significant equity via our employee stock grant program
• Company-paid access to WeWork
• Gympass benefit including mental health resources
• Udemy license for on-demand continuous learning content
• Quarterly Book Initiative to select two books from a curated list related to a different topic each quarter
• Flexible PTO
• Employee Assistance Program
• Paid parental leave