Code for America reached a voluntary recognition agreement with Code for America Workers United, affiliated with OPEIU (Office Professional Employees International Union, Local 1010), effective on October 22, 2021. We are currently engaged in negotiations towards our first collective bargaining agreement.
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Associate Director of Finance who will assist the Finance team with a variety of accounting, finance, and management duties.
About the Role:
In this role, you will be an integral part of a Code for America’s finance team, which is supporting the rapid growth of programs and infrastructure. Your primary focus will be accounting and reporting for donor grants and earned revenue, helping to manage the finance team, overseeing the month-end close, maintaining accounting standards, reporting, and audit support. In addition to working within the Financial Team, you will interact broadly with other employees across the organization to ensure that the Finance Team contributes to the mission of the organization, as well as to confirm that accounting policies are followed, transactions are executed accurately and in a timely manner, and relevant information is reported.
The Finance Team is currently composed of a Senior Accountant, an Associate Director of Financial Analysis, a Director of Finance, a Senior Director of Finance, and a Chief Financial Officer. We will be adding a second Senior Accountant and a Financial Analyst shortly. This role will report to the Director of Finance.
In this position you will:
Accounting and Reporting for Donor Grants and Earned Revenue (55%)
- Work closely with the Development Team and the growing Earned Revenue Team to prepare, oversee, and report on funder-specific budgets;
- Systematize donor grants and earned revenue tracking procedures;
- Perform monthly fund accounting processes.
- Learn all aspects of the Senior Accountant roles in order to manage the two Senior Accountants and provide coverage for them in their absences;
- Assist in the analysis of accounting systems and procedures to enhance the effectiveness and accuracy;
- Communicate on an on-going basis with Finance and CfA staff to create awareness of business objectives, communicate expectations, and recognize performance;
- Communicate financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
Oversee month-end close process (15%)
- Review month-end close reports and trial balance for discrepancies;
- Ensure that financial statements are accurate and delivered to appropriate individuals in a timely manner.
Other duties as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Statistics, or equivalent experience;
- At least 7 years of accounting experience;
- Strong proficiency with analyzing large datasets in Excel;
- Proficiency in fund accounting, i.e., budgeting, accounting, and reporting for donor grants and earned revenue
- Exceptional interpersonal soft skills and the ability to establish strong rapport and partnerships at all levels of the organization;
- Outstanding time management and prioritization skills.
It’s bonus points if you have:
- Strong proficiency in Sage Intacct or comparable accounting software;
- Proficiency in Adaptive Planning;
- Experience with governmental grants;
- Non-profit finance experience;
- Start-up experience.
What you’ll get
Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires.
The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range from ($108,503 to $132,825).
Benefits and perks:
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity (DE&I)
- A collaborative, cross-functional, hardworking and fun environment
- Medical & Retirement:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds up to 3%
- Professional development:
- Bi annual 360 review process alongside compensation reviews
- $1000 annual (per calendar year) stipend towards professional development
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Flexible Time:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- Flexible working hours- we aim to hold all internal meetings between 10 AM – 3 PM PT
- Employee enablement support:
- $200 stipend in first paycheck for remote environment setup
- Additional equipment reimbursement of up to $500 for remote enablement
- Cell phone and/or internet reimbursement of up to $50 per month
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran