Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy content in an audience-first format. We get our readers smarter, faster on what matters most through our national and local news (25 cities and counting) or our premium news subscription–for professionals who need deeper reporting and analysis. We are looking for a Business Development Manager to support our early career business development associates (BDAs).
Why it matters: This manager of BDAs will help hire, coach, and develop our growing top of funnel team. Axios Media and Pro BDAs play a critical role in generating a sales pipeline for our client partnership and subscription teams. This role will report to and partner closely with our Senior Director of Revenue Enablement to create and implement processes to maximize lead outreach and activity scheduling (i.e. client meetings).
Go deeper: Responsibilities for this role include:
- Oversee all aspects of daily operations for BDAs, including hiring, training, coaching and development, and performance management.
- Collaborate closely with sales and marketing leadership to create and drive new business and renewal interactions through various outreach and retention campaigns.
- Build scripting playbooks, outreach strategies, and KPIs to drive success across the associate ranks.
- Monitor and report key business metrics for individual BDAs including outreach and activities scheduled.
- Listen and observe business development outreach; coach BDAs on initial hook, Axios elevator pitch, making the ask for the meeting, and objection handling.
- Spot challenges and inefficiencies in the performance of associates and quickly redirect to drive improvements.
The details: Ideal candidates should have an entrepreneurial spirit, be highly collaborative, exhibit a passion for building something new, and have the following experience:
- Exceptional emotional intelligence with a proven track record of coaching and developing high-potential early-career commercial talent
- Direct experience managing entry-level or early-career professionals in a sales or commercial environment
- Ability to understand the formula for driving top-of-funnel activity in order to drive toward revenue goals and milestones
- Strong track record of building processes, infrastructure, and performance playbooks from the ground-up
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- A deep belief in and commitment to maintaining a diverse and inclusive team environment
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.